11 Drowned in 2008, Why Can’t We Get Lifeguards?

by March 20, 2009 • 31 comments

Tuesday the Bay County Commissioners “balked” at the idea of giving the City of Panama City Beach $108,000 to fund lifeguards at Rick Seltzer Park because of the expense and liability concerns. Seriously?  I mean, come on.  We went through this last year, all the controversy, and we had 11 tourists that drown here on our beaches!  Pensacola has had 4 drownings in five years, Walton County had none last year, we had 11!  Eleven drownings in one year!  That’s more in one year than we’ve ever had!  How does this not deeply concern those in charge?

Today, a Letter to the Editor was published in the News Herald that’s quite good.  In fact, some of the above was sourced from it.  Read it here.

The writer goes on to say that one could make a worthy argument that safer beaches could, in fact, be used as a marketing ploy to help draw people to our area.  We want a WOW marketing campaign, how’s this for a nugget:  “Feel Safe on Panama City Beach” – that will draw families.  How does the bad press look when potential visitors hear about 11 people drowning in our waters in one year, as opposed to none in our neighboring Walton County, whom I might ad is our direct competition.  Are people scared of coming to our beaches?  Are our beaches deemed dangerous to tourists looking to come to our area?  State your opinion in the comments section.

I understand there are legal ramifications for everything and liability issues with every action we as a community make, but why aren’t we taking tourism and city officials from our neighboring areas out to lunch to pick their brains on how they are doing it.  This isn’t some novel idea that no one’s figured out how to do.  Communities are doing this, communities have been doing this for a long time, there is a formula that works, and we need to employ it in Panama City Beach.

The author of the article reminds us that Chairman Jerry Girvin backed away from supporting this Tuesday after receiving conflicting reports from lawyers concerning liabilities of the County.  What!?  So, find another lawyer, read the precedents he proposes and make a more informed decision.  Again, others are doing this, and the success is obviously apparent.

Commissioner Mike Thomas was concerned about the idea of spending $100k on something that primarily benefited tourists.  Yea, benefitted tourists LIVES.  100 grand to save a few lives is more than worth it – the good publicity we’d get off it alone would make it worth our while, saving lives would be icing on the cake.  Oh, and may I remind you that tourists are the lifeblood of our area?  We have NO industry here except tourism.  We scare them off, we’re screwed.

Additional Lifeguards Stories

1 jamolfin March 20, 2009 at 1:01 pm

How many people drowned at Rick Seltzer Park? $108,000 for lifeguards on that small area. Build a Convention/concert/sport arena with the money and let em’ drown. I have a condo at calypso and we will have plenty of people to save you there by the pier. Im still boiling mad over the 2cents bed tax for nothing. Build something but dont give it to marketers that produce nothing. You cant tell me top name entertainment and amusement parks wont bring the people to this beach. Wake up people. The amount of people that drown wont get the publicity like shootings and deaths at Spring Break. 2 cents added to the bed tax and we will be lucky if we see a couple extra ball fields at Frank Brown.

2 Patty March 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm

We, my husband and I own a house in PCB & we are planning to make it our retirement home.

Recently my husband contacted the Mayors Office regarding the lifeguard situation in PCB. He was advised that “Bay County residents do not want to open their property tax bills and see higher fees due to adding lifeguards” and “feel the pain of higher taxes”. My husband countered this ridiculous statement with “I do not want to feel the pain of opening my newspaper to see another person has drowned on PCB”.

We live out of state. We are not currently using the beaches or any other city services, but we are still paying property taxes. We are more than willing to kick in our fair share to see that the gulf front is properly guarded. How many people need to die before PCB wakes up and realizes that this is a serious issue!

We have been to many, many beaches. PCB is the ONLY area that prides itself on its beaches and encourages visitors to its beaches yet does not provide basic protection for its swimming visitors. To say the the “vendors” on the beach are there and will rescue if necessary is most obviously absurd. The vendors are most concerned with transacting business and not watching for people in trouble. It is incredibly closed minded to think that this is the solution for this situation.

Money is tight for everyone in this economy, ourselves included as my husband is in construction and work is very slow right now but to stand by as people die in the gulf is and should be very distressing to anyone with a conscience. How many homes are in Bay County? How many visitors a year to PCB? If it was a combination of both kicking in to solve this issue it would be an obtainable goal. It is posively shameful to let one more person die because of this situation.

3 Bob March 20, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I guess since Mr.Obama is going to provide everything from Universal Health Care to a chicken in every pot we may as well go ahead and throw in life guards. What ever happened to personal responsibility and common sense in this country? If you’re not a good swimmer, don’t go near the water. If you’re children don’t swim like fish,watch them like a hawk. Why must we look after every one for every single thing from the cradle to the grave? It is a good thing our forefathers weren’t such weenies. We would all be speaking with English accents.

4 Patty March 20, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Sorry to let you know “Bob” but we are as far from Obama supporters as you can be…(and that has nothing to do with this arguement anyway) but there is no denying the fact that people are dying on PCB. Since this community advertises itself based on its beaches there should be a disclaimer added to the advertising that spells out….SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK! Sorry “Bob” but rip-tides are equal opportunity dangers, even if you are an experienced swimmer you could find yourself in trouble in a very short time.

PCB depends upon visitors revenue. People are coming from all over to “the worlds most beautiful beaches”. We have traveled extensively and have NEVER encountered a beach community that does not have lifeguarded beaches. In all likelyhood the visitors coming to the beach expect to see lifeguards. I know that the first time that we went there we were astonished to see no lifeguard stands on the beach. The visitors to PCB are hardworking families who have probably worked 50+ weeks that year to afford to bring their kids on vacation. These are not “welfare cases” looking for a government handout. They are just going on vacation with their family with the expectation that they will return home a a week later with their family intact.

This situation needs to be addressed now as the summer season is coming and there will be more people on the beach and in the water. Before more people die needlessly. You would not want one of your loved ones to die in this way.

Change the slogan from “the worlds most beautiful beaches” to “the worlds most deadly beaches”. Just truth in advertising.

5 Bob March 20, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Patty, The cradle to the gravers have converted you.If we continue to raise taxes to provide for and accomidate every risk for everyone in this country, the number of tourest coming to PCB will be the least of our worries. Washington has a printing press. I don’t. The $108,000 to fund lifeguards was for Rick Seltzer Park only. Once that is funded wouldn’t you like to go ahead and fund life guards for the remaining 26 miles of beach in Bay County? Wait to you see the bill for that one! What about the rest of Florida? Shouldn’t the state provide life guards all the way to Key West? Again, a little common sense and personal responsibility go a long way in this world and it cost is zero!

6 Chris March 20, 2009 at 4:54 pm

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 100 times. WE HAVE LIFEGUARDS ON OUR BEACHES!! I know, I was one. I worked 6 years on our beaches selling everything from parasail rides, to jetski rentals, to lounge chairs. I was responsible for 175 yards of beach. Over the years I had to go into the water maybe a dozen times or so to rescue distressed swimmers. That’s an average of twice per season. No one ever drowned on my beach. And I was expected to be there on red flag days to keep people out of the water.

I’ll tell you what we don’t have on Panama City Beach: Baywatch. We don’t have obvious, highly visible, red-short wearing lifeguards sitting in pretty little towers. And it’s my opinion that we don’t need them.
________________________________

My comment from a previous article. Drownings occur on red flag days. These days are typically rainy, windy, and overcast. Very rarely do we have a nice sunny day with bad surf conditions. Everyone is taking the angle that drownings are rampant in PC. This notion is false.

7 Patty March 20, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Eleven people died on PCB beaches in 2008. How many this year will be anyones’ guess. I am not for a “cradle to grave” approach as “Bob” states, I am just requesting that there are sections of lifeguarded beach for family use. It does not have to be the WHOLE beach. The lifeguarded sections should be clearly marked for visiting families, they then can choose if they wish to use them. Chris, I am glad that you are “on the ball” and was able to rescue some, but 11 people dead in one years’ time proves that the system is broken and needs to be fixed. PCB is dangerous to its guests.

8 jamolfin March 20, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I see lifeguards, cops in 4 wheel drives, the little golf cart things. Im at Calypso and there are plenty of people to save you. Last year was one of the best surf summers I remember andIve been surfing here my whole life (48 years). Its usually flat all summer, so last year was a anomaly. I say put a few more beach cops in 4 wheelers but we dont need the “Baywatchers”. Ridiculous waste of money, unless they can clean the beach all day instead of sit there 90 out of 100 days when its flat.

9 Chris March 21, 2009 at 8:14 am

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS THE SOLUTION!

If you’re in the water when a RED flag is flying, you pay a $500 fine. Its that simple.

PROBLEM SOLVED, END OF STORY!

10 Terry March 21, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I own a place at Boardwalk and my two cents worth is fairly basic. If you’re going to advertise to teenages who come here to drink, I feel you have a responsibility to take some effort to keep them alive.

Who knows, perhaps a couple of these drowned individuals could have been tomorrows family coming here for a visit.

So I’m all for the lifeguards, and to me as mentioned previously my personal responsibility is to try and keep as many people alive as I possibilty can. Whatever it’s going to cost me I’m pretty sure it’s less than the value of a life.

11 touristadvocate March 22, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I agree with Patty and Terry and appreciate the good sense they have toward human life and Civic Responsibility. How can you invite families to your beach and not educate them as to the real danger of rip currents, ocean creatures, and many other safety concerns? The reason tourist do not take your flags seriously is because PCB does not take seriously their duty to protect their guests. Flags will never save lives and were never meant to solely guard swimmers. The people who should be fined are the beach vendors. Why are they allowed to continue business, as usual, when double red flags are flying? Tourist learn by their example and unknowingly get in dangerous water conditions. If the water is actually closed to the public then beach vendors are sending out a disturbing mixed message. I believe having lifeguards equipped and in place would actually save PCB money. What is the actual cost of eleven lives (2008)? How about over 400 rescues in 2008? How many preventable deaths and injuries have to occur before PCB is serious about protecting their investment –us tourist? When will PCB be held accountable for their inaction. At miniumum, it is the poorest show of Southern Hospitality, ever. Civic Duty has much to do with Public Safety. Tourist pay so their should be no local worry on the matter.

12 Ron March 22, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Let’s see if I’ve got this right. I don’t have a condo or rental property profiting off tourists. I don’t have a beach vendor rental business. I don’t have a restaurant or any other business that caters to tourists. I seldom go to the beach except to walk, I have a pool, as most rentals have, to get wet in. And I’m supposed to be taxed to pay for lifeguards and other “protective” services. I don’t believe. Let the ones that “promote and participate” pay.

Besides, a couple of quite summers and this will all go away.

13 Jan Nelson March 23, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I come in peace.

I agree with you Ron, PCB citizens should not pay one dime for a service that will not benefit them personally. Lifeguards would primarily benefit tourist (safety). Locals need not worry about paying for debated topic…”beach lifeguards” because tourist already do. The bed tax which has been raised considerably is where the funds for such a program–reside. You may not personally benefit from the tourist industry but your city relies upon it heavily. PCB lures visitors to their beautiful (volatile) beach then drops them like hot potatoes the moment their toes touch the sand. There is no education or protection for the guests PCB invited. Yet…tourist continue to pay for, expect, and assume that we are covered on the beach when in reality…..we are not. (I do not consider “flags” alone as a viable source of protection.)

Unfortunately, this issue will not resolve itself or go away. It will get worse before it gets better. Though, I understand your need and right for serenity. Hope this helps.

Jan Nelson

14 Lifelonglocal March 24, 2009 at 8:41 am

I have been a resident of PCB my whole life, my mother was raised here, as well as my grandmother. There are billboards, cabs and numerous other advertisments telling people to stay out of the water on red flag days. There is a sign at every public beach access with this information on it. If tourist do not want to drown, they need to pay attention as they walk to the water. I go to the beach very often and see plenty of resposible people who heed the warnings of the flag system. We just spend so much money to improve that system, when is enough enough? Besides, Terry, we do not advertise tfor teenagers to come here and drink, they take that responsiblity on their shoulders. I was at the beach 2 weeks ago during the spring break concerts and all the tourist were doing were trashing our beaches. I stepped on so many beer cans and urine filled bottles that my feet are still sore. In fact, the idiot behind me was urinating in a gatorade bottle! Then whata did he do, dropped it on the ground and went back to drinking! You expect me to want to pay taxes to save those people! He said he came with 8 other guys in 1 hotel room! With a $200 budget for the week! What good is that doing us? When it cost hundreds of thousands to clean up all the garbage they leave behind. We don’t advertise for people to come here and be irresponsible and loose their common sense, but they do. Why should I have to pay for that? Especially when, like Ron said, I don’t profit off of tourist. If you can’t swim well, you have no business being in the water. If you can swim well and there are red flags out, you still have no business being in the water. There has never been a day where I have ever had to wonder what the Gulf was like, I just look down the beach and check the flags. Why should we pay for others stupidity?

15 Maureen March 24, 2009 at 8:56 am

Perhaps lifeguards will encourage families to make PCB their vacation site. People do drown on good days as well as red flag days. Yes, everyone should take personal responsibility, and watch their kids, but if you want to make that argument then we don’t need lifeguards at Frank Brown Park either. If I see someone about to cross the street and a car comes careening towards them, do I say “well, he/she should look before they walk” or just let them get hit and chalk it up to personal responsibility. Lifeguards will help locals as well as visitors you know. I don’t think the lifeguards will be instructed to ONLY save drowners from out of town. We are all responsible for each other to some extent. I don’t think that adding lifeguards is too large an expense for what I believe will ultimately benefit PCB and its tourist trade, as well as making the beaches safer for all. As for the typical “spring breakers” I don’t think they care one way or the other if there are lifeguards; they certainly don’t care what color the flag of the day is. We all know what these kids are there for. However, making PCB a safer, more family friendly place to visit, could force the usual spring breakers to seek their thrills elsewhere. As long as one revenue is replaced with another, that should keep most everyone happy.

16 Jellen March 24, 2009 at 10:22 am

You can’t put a lifeguard every 100 feet down the beach. No matter how many lifeguards you hire, someone is going to go where there are no lifeguards so that no one can tell them to stay out of the water. Lifeguards would save some, but could never save all irresponsible parties. If lifeguards are hired, they could only cover one or two designated beach areas.

17 Chris March 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I hate to be callous, but why you guys believe it’s EVERYONE’S responsibility to make sure people don’t drown is beyond me. I don’t think it’s everyone’s job, and I’m a lifeguard!

And no Maureen, if you research drownings for the past 10 years in PCB you will find that every one of them occured during heavy surf/rip current conditions.

18 Richard March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm

There are several overlapping issues being discussed.

Moral responsibility. Do we have any responsibility to help protect others and keep them safe if even from themselves? I think we all agree that we do. That is why we fund police, fire, paint crosswalks, and many other things. Would hiring lifeguards provide this service? Would they fulfill our moral responsibility?

Would Lifeguards actually help the drowning problem that we have? This one is debatable, as they would only be located in one or two places. We could not afford to cover the entire city area’s coastline. The idiots that want to swim when the red flags are flying will just go where there are no lifeguards to keep them out of the water.

Investment. If we hire lifeguards, will more families vacation in PCB. Would spending money on lifeguards be the best use of our scarce tax dollars? Forgetting the moral obligation and viability issue for a moment, would there be any benefit to offset the cost. For example the person above that stated that they do not want higher taxes because they do not use the beaches and do not live on the beach, even they would be happy if they thought lifeguards would increase the value or ability to sell they house.

Do we feel bad when people drown on our beaches? Yes, of course we do even if they are doing stupid things. If we thought that even one life would be saved by having lifeguards at Richard Seltzer park, then the majority would support the idea. This has not been shown to be the case.

19 Jan Nelson March 25, 2009 at 1:10 am

Jellen….Dig Deeper. Can’t mever could! Tourist are ill-informed more than –irresponsible. We do not trash your beach more than PCB doesn’t supply adequate trash containers or system. Tourist come to PCB to relax & Vacation. Not to be talked about and treated like –trash.

20 bonnie March 25, 2009 at 9:25 am

PCB Town Counsel—–You make me sick!! You raise the bed tax and then you say that the money is not going to pay for lifeguards. My son died at 18 on a vacation to PCB and the flags were not flying, the so called life-guards were going off duty, there were no signs that said “no life guards were on duty, swim at your own risk”. His death was not at Spring Break time, it was May 19, 1995. There were 8 deaths that year. My son had only been on the beach for 15 mins. No one told him that there was a rip current and he was above water for 30 mins. Other people on the beach and in the condos call 911. Police came but know one would go into the water to save him. No one called me that this had happened at 5:30-6:00 P.M. I had to call the police and they told me that his body would rise and come ashore with in 24 hours. A friend of my sons call me at 9:30 P.M. and told me what happened. I then called the PCB police. No one helped me and this was 14 years ago. He lost his life because there were not surf certified lifeguards. Please use the tax money for lifeguards who save people. I give talks to HS and colleges to warn them about PCB and not to go there. I am doing everything I can to discourage people from coming to PCB.

21 Jan Nelson March 25, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Hey Lifelonglocal…PCB does (heavily) lure students to party and act reckless. Where have you been? Google “PCB FL Spring Break” and you’ll see.

22 Ron March 25, 2009 at 8:09 pm

As a member or the off road and back country community, we have a term, “tread lightly”. If you pack it in, you pack it out. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a four wheel drive or hoofing it with a backpack in the desert or mountains. And I’m talking about miles, not a few yards from your room or vehicle. So the trash receptacle argument is, pardon the pun, rubbish.

I wish my first cousin had been told the driver that killed him was going to run that stop sign. Or maybe there should have been a cop directing traffic first hand.

I wish someone had told my dad smoking was going to kill him. Wait! Someone did, and he did it anyway.

We have personal responsibilities and we have to make ourselves aware of the hazards around us. I can’t believe there are young adults and parents that are clueless about the dangers of ocean surf. I recently returned from the Oregon Coast. I drove for many miles down 101 and several of them were on the beach and didn’t see a single lifeguard or lifeguard stand. And the Pacific is serious surf. I guess those folks up there are just smarter and more aware of their surroundings.

23 Jellen March 25, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Of course people feel bad for every drowning death. And for every traffic accident death. I would like to see lifeguards at one or two designated beaches in PCB. I would be willing to pay additional tax dollars for those services but my point still stands — lifeguards cannot be provided at every 100 feet of beach, the platitude “can’t never could” notwithstanding. Figure out how many lifeguards that would be per mile and then multiple it times the number of miles long that the PCB beach stretches, then multiple that times the cost for each lifeguard, including salary, benefits, management overhead, equipment costs, updated training costs, etc. I wish every victim could be saved but the flat out truth is that no matter how hard a community tries, people still circumvent the rules or don’t pay attention to warnings.

I think we should do what we can but no one should be fooled into thinking any beach, whether the Gulf of Mexico or an inland lake, can be made perfectly safe for every swimmer.

24 Jan Nelson March 26, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I agree with Ron, citizens should be responsible for what they carry and realize to that the farther one is off from the paved road….comes with hazards to be aware of. I believe that people should have the mindset of self reliance. In fact, I stand for less government and more personal freedom. However, the designated areas for beach swimming and the pattern of excessive (costly)rescues and drownings can’t be ignored. Since, they are preventable. Ron, I know you can’t believe it, but visitors are unaware of real surf dangers. Why? Because they don’t live around the surf. Hence..out-of-towners, tourist, vacationers..whatever. I experienced the same observation visiting the Atlantic Beach that you spoke about the Pacific. Both more turbulent than the Gulf. The difference is that they are not heavily populated by seasonal tourist. Know what I mean?

25 Jan Nelson March 26, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Jellen….we are not talking about perfection. Accidents will happen. The goal here is: prevention.

26 lauren wilson March 27, 2009 at 10:31 am

i seriously think our tourism wont be hurt at all if we dont get life guards…. have you been to the actual beach lately… they aint scared of that water. now is it worth it and a nessicity , heck yes. thinking outside the box here, its great for our locals… no think of us to much. theres not one thing wrong that comes with life guards. but if we dont get them its not horrible either, and look theres so many beaches in hawaii and other vacation spots with no lifeguard on duty. that doesnt exactly stray people away. but im for it and i have life guard friends who are for it too so they won’t have to drive out to walton county for their job and sunshine

27 Leanna March 27, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Lifegards are neccessary for an area that promotes the beach. Visable lifegards also help prevent stupid behavior. And even locals can misjudge their swimming ability, even in green flag conditions.

28 Lifelonglocal March 31, 2009 at 9:36 am

WOW! So then, according to what most of you are saying, it is our personal resposiblity to keep people from being stupid. Does that mean I can walk up to someone and take a cigarette out of their mouth, because it might kill them? Or take everyones keys away, because they might get into a car wreck? How ridiculous can you be? Ever go climb a mountain and have a guard posted on the mountain to help you in case you fall? NO! Even though I am not from an area where there are mountains, I still know (from common sense) that they are dangerous. There are signs at every public access saying BEWARE! RIP CURRENTS MAY BE PRESENT! What more can we do, walk down the beach and hand out pamphlets. What next? Mandatory classes on how to swim before you enter the gulf? Yet, I can’t enjoy a day out without hacking and coughing because someone is smoking in the area. i rally that we ban cigarettes because not only are they dangerous to the smoker, they are dangerous to everyone around them. That is like a weak swimmer taking a group of people into the ocean on a bad weather day. What is the city going to do about that? Nothing! So why should we have to hold the hands of the people who don’t have enough sense to look before they cross the street or to stay out of rough water? I have lived here my whole life and never heard of anyone drowning on a good weather day. I do not feel responsible when some idiot gets to drunk to walk then goes for a swim in the gulf. We can not police everything that people do. Even on a good day, car accidents happen, people get hit walking down the road, someone shoots someone else, someone over doses on drugs…. Should I feel responsible for this to? Absolutely not! There are many, many other things in this community that need attention, hiring babysitters for irresponsible people on the beach is not one of them! Wait, we have less than 5 drownings a year now, you can pay me to go sit on the beach and get a tan and watch people. I do it all the time anyways. Never seen someone drown in my 26 years on our beaches, you can pay me to do nothing 99% of the time!

29 Lifelonglocal March 31, 2009 at 9:38 am

WOW! So then, according to what most of you are saying, it is our personal resposiblity to keep people from being stupid. Does that mean I can walk up to someone and take a cigarette out of their mouth, because it might kill them? Or take everyones keys away, because they might get into a car wreck? How ridiculous can you be? Ever go climb a mountain and have a guard posted on the mountain to help you in case you fall? NO! Even though I am not from an area where there are mountains, I still know (from common sense) that they are dangerous. There are signs at every public access saying BEWARE! RIP CURRENTS MAY BE PRESENT! What more can we do, walk down the beach and hand out pamphlets. What next? Mandatory classes on how to swim before you enter the gulf? Yet, I can’t enjoy a day out without hacking and coughing because someone is smoking in the area. i rally that we ban cigarettes because not only are they dangerous to the smoker, they are dangerous to everyone around them. That is like a weak swimmer taking a group of people into the ocean on a bad weather day. What is the city going to do about that? Nothing! So why should we have to hold the hands of the people who don’t have enough sense to look before they cross the street or to stay out of rough water? I have lived here my whole life and never heard of anyone drowning on a good weather day. I do not feel responsible when some idiot gets to drunk to walk then goes for a swim in the gulf. We can not police everything that people do. Even on a good day, car accidents happen, people get hit walking down the road, someone shoots someone else, someone over doses on drugs…. Should I feel responsible for this to? Absolutely not! There are many, many other things in this community that need attention, hiring babysitters for irresponsible people on the beach is not one of them! Wait, we have so few drownings a year now, you can pay me to go sit on the beach and get a tan and watch people. I do it all the time anyways. Never seen someone drown in my 26 years on our beaches, you can pay me to do nothing 99% of the time!

30 Lifelonglocal March 31, 2009 at 9:41 am

My first comment should have said 15, my 1 key stuck. Tried to change it, but couldn’t, sorry…

31 Jon January 16, 2011 at 1:18 am

Why not cross train some county Fire fighters/EMTs and have them patrol the beaches. Give them a little extra money as an incentive. Or what about the PCB police department. They are driving around the beaches on 4 wheelers, how about cross training them to keep an extra eye on the swimmers. If the they don’t want to spend a ton of money on a lifeguard program, just enhance the current emergency services. I’m an EMT, a lifeguard (instructor), and a law enforcement officer; I would be more than willing to walk the beaches and act as any one of the three. Or all three at once if need be. There are many ways they could save money they just need to think outside the box. I’m sure many of our emergency services personnel would be willing to get the training and perform the job(s).