Gas Gouging – RIP OFF

by September 13, 2008 • 6 comments

So, yesterday, on the way out of town, my wife and I filled up for $3.63 a gallon.  That is a stupid high price (I refuse to be conditioned!), but that’s where we are, right?  $100 a barrel.

Well, in light of the current situation in the Gulf with hurricane Ike and all, the supply of gas in our area has temporarily been affected.  This morning we drove around to a few gas stations and the ones that still had gas left were priced at $3.95/gallon for regular.  Thinking it was insane to see the price jump 33 cents overnight just because of a little supply problem, we decided to keep looking.  I refused to pay $3.95 a gallon, just on principle.

Well, our trusty Tom Thumb gas stations, as usual, can be relied upon.  Out of the two that I went to, one was out of gas, but the other was still priced at $3.63 a gallon.  I could have kissed the manager for being honest when others were being greedy.

Additional General Stories

1 jamnolfin September 13, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I know people that wont buy gas from Tom Thumb because its Citgo and they dont want to put money in Hugo Chavez’s pocket. Personally I love Tom Thumb.

2 austoman September 13, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I own a BP station in Tennessee. I paid $3.86 to my supplier yesterday. Most stations are not price gouging but have to increase their price because it was increased to them by the supplier.

3 neil johnson September 13, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Well Jason,
Look on the bright side–we are from England but have a home in Panama City Beach, and we are coming over next week We are paying $11 gallon for fuel here–so cant wait to pay $3-95 Spare a thought for us !!!!!
I read pcbdaily every day and keep up the good work
Incidentally if you want our prime minister,Gordon Brown (and Tony Blair for that matter), you can have them
Cant wait for our election–only two years to go

Best wishes,

Neil Johnson

4 Allan September 13, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Haha. Thats nothing, there is a station in Enterprise charging $5.26, most are around $4 in Dothan if they have gas. The shell is out of all gas. I thought there was about to be a riot at Sams Gas when the truck finally got there.

5 Roger September 16, 2008 at 1:20 pm

here in Michigan, we are paying $4.14 currently with price per barrel under $100 for the first time in 6 months, it doesnt make sense.

6 Janise Grubber August 28, 2012 at 9:10 am

It’s called GREED stupid’s, oil companies need to be fined for “price-fixing”