Miracle Strip at Pier Park – almost here!

by February 26, 2010 • 20 comments

Classic engineering of a classic Ferris Wheel
I dropped by Pier Park yesterday to tell a vendor there that their picture had run in an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. I had my camera so I took a short walk over to the new Miracle Strip amusement park to see how it was coming along. You can see from the pictures below that the rides are almost 100% ready to go. The developers, Ted and Jenny Meeks told me that they were about a week away from opening the mini-amusement park.

Jenny told me a bit about the project. One of most interesting parts is that it will be great to have the very sames rides from Miracle Strip restored to their original condition. Over the years, thousands of visitors and locals grew up at Miracle Strip. “Not only will it bring back some great childhood memories for many but the rides will let parents share some of their childhood with their kids.”

Pretty much all that remains is the landscaping and then Miracle Strip at Pier Park will start entertaining another generation on Panama City Beach.

Additional Construction Update Stories

1 The Dude February 26, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Is the Ferris Wheel facing the beach? I hope it is because it would be nice to be able to see the beach from the top.

2 Tye76 February 26, 2010 at 7:14 pm

No. All you can see from the top is a gas station, the side of a brick wall and roofs with missing tiles. Pretty disappointing actually.

3 Not tellin February 27, 2010 at 9:51 am

Don’t be stupid.

4 Teddy Meeks February 27, 2010 at 3:24 am

Yes, the Ferris Wheel has a perfect view of the Gulf, the new pier and down Pier Park Dr (the new PCB Main St).

5 Not tellin February 27, 2010 at 9:52 am

It will have an awesome view! You can almost see the beach while standing on the ground!

6 Donna Frederick February 28, 2010 at 1:42 am

Well I can remember coming to Panama City Beach every summer when I was a small child and my parent took me my sister and two brother . We had so much fun every year . I was sick when seen it was being closed and tore down . To me it was a big part of PCB . And very Happy to see even a small part of being put back . Can hardly waiting to come back this summer to see what it like . And enjoy it again as an adult .

7 Courtney Moulton February 28, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I loved it! I use to go all the time with a parents. I am so happy ya’ll are even making a small part of it agian!(:

8 Jan February 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I am so excited! Love to see those little and big 🙂 kids faces enjoying the rides!!!

9 Tye76 February 28, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Just my opinion, but the beaches of Destin/Ft Walton Beach are MUCH better than our beaches in PCB. They have clearer water, whiter sand and their beaches are MUCH wider. Also, their condos/hotels are cheaper by far and are more family oriented.

10 KK March 1, 2010 at 9:12 am

The beaches are not wider in Destin! Are you kidding me? They are very narrow. And most of the condos, you have to cross a street to get to the beach. Destin has nice beaches too but I think you are on the wrong site!

11 Eric Habshey March 2, 2010 at 10:57 am

Cheaper? Not even close.

12 jamnolfin March 2, 2010 at 2:44 am

I imagine Tye is another disguntled townee, mad because hes stuck on the ugly side of the bridge

13 Casual Observer March 2, 2010 at 8:55 am

Well said jamnolfin (not well spelled, but well said). Read Tye76’s posts…what gas station is even in view from the middle of Pier Park. This is obviously a prankster, or an idiot with a vengeance. His posts don’t even merit a glance.

14 MDW March 2, 2010 at 9:08 am

If we could just only go back in time when America had morals to match this great idea! I for one will be taking my family to support this 365 days of the year! This will gives us another family event besides the Concerts In The Park to enjoy! Oh Yea! my family and friends support the concerts also!

15 CKN March 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

Hey Tye76…Sounds like you are not a happy camper in PCB. So if you decide to MOVE to the Destin area you so dearly love we won’t mourn your departure. I am sure Destin would appreciate such a upbeact addition to their community. Happy Trails!

16 GBC March 2, 2010 at 9:57 am

What about the roller coaster?! That is always my favorite ride/memory of Miracle Strip. My least favorite is the Bullet – I threw up after that one (but then we’d had a really terrible spaghetti meal just before that)? I hope the park doesn’t make traffic as bad as it was at the original location – that was always a drag to be caught in that mess.

17 Tye76 March 2, 2010 at 10:04 am

I’m sorry, you guys are right! PCB is much better than Destin. I’m just a bitter old battle axe and sometimes I fly off at the handle when I haven’t had my arthritis medication and a good dose of The Golden Girls. I’m wetting myself right now so I better go. I love Panama City Beach!

18 Eric Habshey March 2, 2010 at 10:59 am

Good to hear. Please be sure to not miss your doses in the future.

19 Maureen March 2, 2010 at 10:22 am

I think the addition of the rides is a great idea. It will give me and my grandson another ‘something to do’ when I come down to visit. I too would love to see even a small roller coaster added in the future, but still truly appreciate the rides that the Meeks’ have brought to Pier Park. Integrating the old with the new is great planning indeed.

20 gerald March 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm

i use to take my dauter at the one at the y, she really enjoyed it