Miracle Strip Carousel coming to Pier Park

by March 14, 2009 • 17 comments

horses

About two weeks ago, a buddy of mine and contributing author, Teddy Meeks emailed me sharing that he had a new venture that he was embarking upon.  He has purchased, and is installing right now, the original carousel that was in the Miracle Strip Amusement Park in Pier Park.

night-carouselTeddy was telling me that he had the idea of putting a carousel in Pier Park about a year ago, that’s when the search began.  They looked all over with the employing the assistance of several brokers before finally finding one that looked promising.

This particular carousel had been in storage since 2004, and the listing included a picture. “This carousel looked familiar, I think it’s the one from Miracle Strip, the original from the 70’s,” Teddy said. “No way, that thing was auctioned off after the sale of the park!” said his wife.

Teddy said that after inspection, they were able to identify it as the original from 1970 that was used at Miracle Strip Amusement Park.

carousel-logo

When they approached Pier Park with the idea, they were, of course, ecstatic.  This is a great opportunity to blend a little nostalgia with the new.  The historical aspect will be a great addition to Pier Park.

The carousel will open by April 1st.

Additional New Opening Stories

1 Kirk Lancaster March 14, 2009 at 9:25 am

INGENIOUS! I hope this venture thrives!

2 karen smith March 14, 2009 at 9:55 am

Jason,
I am tickled pink about this. As a person who was saddened about the loss of all our landmarks that I enjoyed as a little girl and teenager… I am thrilled to get that back. I miss Petticoat Junction, Miracle Strip and even that big ole tower that was near Pier Park which by the way was Wayside park. Did you know that was a great dance hall and there were picnic tables and showers and people would drive a couple of hours just to spend the day here. The dance hall at the park was a place where all of us girls would meet our summer boyfriends. My family would drive down for the day until we built our beach house at 3d street Sunnyside.

3 Janice Wells March 14, 2009 at 4:04 pm

This is a great idea. I was born and raised in Panama City and was so sad when our amusement parks (Petticoat Junction and Miracle Strip) closed. I’m sure I’ll be like many other native Bay Countians that will be thrilled to preserve a little piece of our history, while sharing it with newer generations.

4 Darlene Jones March 14, 2009 at 8:50 pm

This is so amazing. I think this is a wonderful idea. I have been going to PCB all of my life. As a child this was always our vaction spot and now it has become the vacation spot for my boys. I mean, who has not been to PCB. We love Pier Park and can’t wait to see the Carousel this summer. Good luck Jenny and Teddy. Be there in June.
Your Gang at Crescent!!!

5 Nikki Lindsey March 15, 2009 at 10:56 am

What a great idea! I love the way it can serve as a link between PCB’s past that so many visitors and residents remember and the present.

6 Mal Peebles March 15, 2009 at 5:21 pm

This is such a nice surprise. Growing up visiting Panama City Beach, MSAP and Petticoat Junction were so close to my heart. Now living here, it is great to know I can see a part of that childhood magic any time!. Still wish I could find photos of Petticoat Jucntion.

7 Jellen March 16, 2009 at 9:11 am

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if they found and installed the Dumbo ride from Petticoat Junction?

8 Allan March 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I wish they would do more rides like this. I always figured they would do a few rides in Pier Park. Wish someone would open a theme park….(anyone want to back me financially) 🙂

9 cora March 17, 2009 at 8:32 am

It’s looking more and more like Down Town Disney!!!

10 Lynda March 17, 2009 at 9:40 am

Fantastic. Can he bring back the original roller coaster too!

11 Allan March 17, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Lynda, Maybe they could…It is up for sale. I wish someone would purchase the Starliner and give it a good home (Nearby!)

12 lauren wilson March 20, 2009 at 11:54 am

finally something really cool about pier park… now lets find the o2 tower and put it somewhere in there too.

13 Kealey June 19, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Wouldn’t it be neat if they fixed up the old Miracle Strip Amusement Park for halloween. They could make it sort of like a hauted amusement park, with the money that would be made going to a charity. Each building could be sponsored by a local business and run by voluteers. People may start to come back to Panama City Beach just for this. If anyone knows who I could email to bring this up that would really help, Please Email me at kealey.soccer.16@gmail.com Thank You

14 Allan June 21, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Kealey,
That is not a bad idea. I am not sure who actually owns the park now? Anyone in the real estate market know?

I think you could pull in some families that get fall breaks in October and face it, the beach is still beautiful then with some great sunsets.

It would be nice to see something happening besides the park just wasting away.

Allan

15 Gary June 30, 2009 at 10:54 am

Well….we just got back home from visiting PCB and it was the first time in 7 years that I came down. I had heard the amusement park had closed in 2004 and sold so the land could become condos. During my visit I noticed the land is nothing but the run down old buildings and parking lot of the amusement park. Obviously the new owners didn’t have the money to do what they wanted and are letting it sit. I am sad what has become of that area, but somewhere inside of me happy that the greedy didn’t get what they wanted.