MTV Picks Cancun over Panama City Beach

by February 23, 2009 • 14 comments

Considering that the TDC/CVB has been paying MTV Networks so much money to promote college spring break, I was surprised to see that MTV is filming the 22nd season of their popular show “The Real World” in Cancun during College Spring Break. According to RealityTVWorld.com, “The Real World: Cancun’s participants will reportedly work with spring break resource site StudentCity.com to serve as guides for visiting college students while also enjoying the Mexico vacation destination themselves.”

MTV Networks agreed to promote PCB “as the location to be” for college spring break. So why aren’t they filming the college spring break oriented show here? Then again, I’m sure there are many PCBDaily readers who are glad we won’t be getting additional national coverage as a college spring break destination.

Additional Spring Break Stories

1 Jason Koertge February 23, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Although I would totally agree that MTV seems to give us the “short end of the stick”, I, for one, am glad that we are not getting a huge amount of college spring break coverage. Perhaps my concern is more regarding what we DO get for our money.

2 Jason Koertge February 23, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Oh, and apparently the State Department is doing a huge publicity push this year, not necesarily discouraging students from going to Mexico, but attempting to inform of the possible dangers related to heightened drug violence.

3 John February 24, 2009 at 8:42 am

“However, on the positive side, Dan Rowe, President of the Panama City Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau said that this year we are spending less money on college spring break than we ever had in the past.”

Good Dan, good trend, you are headed
in the right direction !

4 Jeff February 24, 2009 at 9:06 am

MTV has been doing this to us for years. When we think of PCB spending a lot of money for MTV to promote PCB, to them, a few hundred thousand is nothing. It is what it is. A secondary market for them to get some footage. We can do much better… I like the Healthy Spring Break Program. How are we getting this message out?? I just heard of it today. I hope it does well.

5 Mike February 24, 2009 at 9:35 am

I think a few thousand college breakers is fine. But MTV coverage is what keeps the adults away from spring break time. School age kids from 6 to 16 also take spring breaks. Their parents (like me) would rather take them anywhere else other than where the colleges have taken over the beaches.

I am probably going to try to come down in March with my wife and 3 children to see how it is this year. If it is ok, we’ll come back next year too. But if it has been taken over by wilder college age spring breakers, we’ll be heading back to Destin, where we’ve been going for years.

I like Panama City Beach, but if March & April were all about MTV and College Spring Breaks, you can have it. I want nothing to do with it. I’m guessing that is how Destin has grown so much in the last 20 years. No huge amounts of wild partying spring breakers and keeping things looking nice, clean and un-trashed. The units will stay nicer too.

I’m hoping PCB follows the same path as Destin for attracting Spring Breakers…. families, boaters, fishermen, golfers, etc….

6 Lori Duncan February 24, 2009 at 11:23 am

Mike, the good news is, there are a few places left “just for families” in Panama City Beach! I can categorically say that Pinnacle Port, on the far west end, has a “no tolerance” policy set forth for the owners. Nobody guests to register under 25 is strictly enforced, and eviction is sure to result if anyone is caught “cheating” that system. As result, Pinnacle Port is kept free of the spring breakers, and everyone with families can be assured of a good night’s sleep, a private beach free of naked college kids, and no vomit in the hallways! We have no problem renting our unit, and our resort is totally ground floor. I have been in our unit in March, and you’d never now it was spring break. Awesome! It would be great if other resorts would stand firmer on their age requirement policies.

On the subject of MTV migrating their business elsewhere, Hallelujah! Families normally spending their spring break money may actually begin enjoying what PCB has to offer, over Destin!

7 Lori Duncan February 24, 2009 at 11:26 am

Wow, I totally typed badly, my verbiage above sounds wierd! New keyboard, one of those silicone ones, getting used to the thing, sorry. I’m really not that bad of a writer! LOL!

8 Don February 24, 2009 at 12:51 pm

My wife and I have been vacationing In PCB since 1985, before we had children. We always go during high school spring break which is usually the first week in April. We have tried Destin, Gulf Shores but prefer PCB. My son is now a junior in college So I know how it is during college spring break. But if you know where to stay I never felt the rowdiness was a big issue. I know that PCB is in a difficult situation. Wanting to try and change their image during the spring but not knowing if the lost in college tourist dollars is worth it. But we’ve been down there in the fall and other times and it’s a different place all together. The way I look at it is if you don’t want to deal with thousands of motorcycles you don’t go to Daytona in Feb. and if you don’t want to deal with college spring breakers don’t go to PCB in March. Maybe when my daughter graduates from high school we’ll look at Destin again but right now PCB is our one and only destination. Really enjoy your website.

9 Bearabull February 24, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Actually I think a LOT of condos are enforcing the 25 rule. I have a condo at the Sunbird and I know we don’t. I can’t tell you how many kids plead because they are having trouble finding a place that will rent to them.

10 Cheri February 24, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Technically, it’s MTVu that is promoting PCB – not MTV. MTVu will be filming in PCB the middle two weeks of March.

11 DJ February 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm

YOUR RIGHT ON! THEY THINK THE SMALL MINDEDNESS OF BAY COUNTY IS GOING TO CHANGE MTV TO DO EVERYTHING HERE WHEN HALF THE FOLKS HERE DONT WANT SPRING BREAK AND THE MEXICANS BEG FOR IT. YOU THINK THE HUGE PARTY ENVIORMENT OF CANCUN,MEXICO MAY BE AFFECTED BY THROWING A FEW HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS OF OUR MONEY TO THEM FROM A COMMUNITY THAT HALF THE PEOPLE DONT WANT SPRING BREAK IS INSANE.

12 College Grad February 24, 2009 at 10:56 pm

I’m sorry but, WHAt does a key board have to do with your ability to type a paragraph and proof read. my grade school teacher would have sent me home or to detention for that answer. And would probably would have been suspended…I aint kid’n

13 Jason Koertge February 25, 2009 at 2:30 pm

College Grad, find somewhere else to be rude.

14 Lori Duncan February 28, 2009 at 10:50 am

Jason, thank you for standing up for me. For the life of me I can’t figure out why some folks like to flame contributors here, then forget to actually state their opinion on the subject. Had there been the ability to go back into my comment and edit it, I would have. But I hit the “enter” button a little too quickly. But it’s all good!