Name the New Panama City Airport – Submit Here

by September 21, 2009 • 105 comments

Submit your names to be included in tomorrow’s regularly schedule Airport Authority Board Meeting.  The Airport Authority is considering new names and is asking for public input.

Up for debate for quite some time has been a new name for the new Panama City – Bay County International Airport, which is being relocated to an under construction site north of West Bay in Panama City Beach.  The new airport has been under construction for over a year now and is set to open May 18, 2010.

We’ve had discussions here and many in the community have recognized that essential to the success of the new airport is a new name that has a regional (or greater) connotation.  The potential of this airport can certainly capture a regional traveler.  Shoot, if we’d drive over to Ft. Walton’s Northwest Florida Regional Airport to save a few hundred buckaroos, certainly our friends to the west (and east for that matter) would do the same.

In order for this airport to best serve our needs into the future, visitors that fly into Panama City need to fly into an airport that encompasses all of Northwest Florida.  Talking to Mel Ponder from Coastal Vision 3000 – or THE Beach – not long ago, he was telling me that international travelers that fly into Orlando rarely stay in Orlando the whole time they are here.  Furthermore, they rarely travel here for less than 14 days.  International travelers will venture as far as up to 5 hours away from Orlando in their travels.

Our new airport will need to be a regional destination that will bring visitors within hours of some of the worlds most beautiful vacation spots from Apalachicola to Pensacola and beyond.

Submit your name suggestions below and email them to

Here are some of the names that have been submitted on here in the past:

Northwest Florida International

Emerald Coast International

Gulf Coast International

Any others?

Additional Airport Stories

1 Cebo September 21, 2009 at 10:13 am

This is a great idea Jason, great article!

I’ll be at that meeting tomorrow morning, watch for the tweets.

2 Justin September 21, 2009 at 10:29 am

Panhandle Int’l Airport

3 Charles September 21, 2009 at 10:40 am

Northwest Florida International says it all. We all need to keep in mind that the moniker chosen will appear throughout the world, and whatever chosen symbol for the airport will ultimately become the symbol folks think about ie (ATL, LAX,)

4 Billy Morgan September 21, 2009 at 10:46 am

“Sunshine State International” because
it is the most marketable name worldwide
for Florida.It also gives the potential
air passenger a positive and inviting picture
of their destination.

5 Hunter Palmer September 21, 2009 at 10:46 am

Emerald Coast International or Sunshine State Skyport.

6 christine September 21, 2009 at 10:46 am

7 Katie September 21, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Yes, Emerald Coast International Airport communicates with a flair!

8 Bearabull September 21, 2009 at 10:47 am

I originally liked Emerald Coast International, but have since e-mailed the suggestion of
Florida Pan International. I think Florida Pan sounds nice and it reflects the whole Panhandle.

9 Chris Koertge September 21, 2009 at 10:56 am

PCB International (hopefully the airport code can be PCB…i.e. DFW, SLC etc…)

Beach Regional / Beach International

10 Cheech September 21, 2009 at 10:57 am

High Times International Airport – Fly High & Go Green!!!!

11 CJ Ryan September 21, 2009 at 10:57 am

I’ve heard the argument that this is a regional airport, but selfishly we really want everyone who uses it to come to Panama City Beach – do we not? Consider that all marketing for this airport from now until forever could be selling PCB as a destination if we name it the Panama City Beach Int’l Airport.

If it has to be a regional name, perhaps Florida’s Emerald Coast Int’l Airport with the slogan “Serving Panama City Beach and all Northwest Florida destinations”

12 Stu September 21, 2009 at 10:58 am

I think Northwest Florida International is the right choice, but I expect it’ll be called The Lord’s Runway.

13 John F September 21, 2009 at 10:58 am

How about the Martin Lee Anderson International Airport?
Better yet, in the spirit of the Hartsfield/Jackson International Airport how about the Richard Jackson/Martion Lee Anderson Airport? Either name would surely satisfy the apologists who are forever berating the white male.

14 Jason Koertge September 21, 2009 at 11:01 am

Wow, great response guys! I especially love the Fly High and Go Green, Cheech. Hilarious. Actually ROTFLMBO

15 Jack Friou September 21, 2009 at 11:04 am

Patronis Panama City Regional Airport

16 ANN VELAZQUEZ September 21, 2009 at 11:04 am

I too, like Emerald Coast International! Sounds “high class” and would support the entire area, not just PC.

17 Jeff September 21, 2009 at 11:08 am

Originally I thought Emerald Coast International because it sounds cool but Northwest Florida International makes the most sense with regard to identifying the area to people not familiar with this area. Most of the world doesn’t know that this area is called the Emerald Coast. I don’t think that this is the time to try to educate them.

Also, the Gulf Coast extends through Tampa, Ft. Myers, Naples, etc. It doesn’t identify this particular area.

The term Pan doesn’t automatically mean Panhandle to most people. Plus I know people in South Florida who don’t even know what the Panhandle is. I’m seroius. So I don’t know how many international travelers will be familiar with the term.

Northwest Florida says it all and incorporates all surrounding areas.

18 Tammy September 21, 2009 at 11:09 am

I am definitely in agreeance on Emerald Coast International Airport

19 Arleen September 21, 2009 at 11:14 am

9-11 Memorial Airport

20 Silver Surfer September 21, 2009 at 11:18 am

Is it true that Hooters Airline will be flying in to our new airport???

21 Shay Dassa September 21, 2009 at 11:20 am

As a Resident of Bay County and a Realtor working primarily with “out of towners” , I would like to see the name of the airport be Northwest Florida International Airport….it simply sums it all up ! In reality, I think we are all just excited to see it completed.

22 Tammy September 21, 2009 at 11:22 am

I have now changed my mind due to Jeff’s comment on referring to Emerald Coast International airport – travelers would have no idea this has anything to do with Florida. Great Point! But when you stick ‘Florida’ in front of it as was CJ’s suggestion it sounds even better and at least has a referring reference ‘Florida Emerald Coast Int’ Airport

But to be a little biased I think we should name it Pier Park International Airport! LOL!

23 Lyle September 21, 2009 at 11:44 am

PCI——-Panama City International Airport

24 JeffM September 21, 2009 at 11:30 am

The name “Florida Gulf International” appeals to me.

25 Chris September 21, 2009 at 11:32 am

Emerald Coast International Airport is a very good name. It describes our area very well. I don’t think any names that include the word “North” should be considered. When I hear the word “North”, I think of “Cold”. I don’t think we want someone to be thinking “Cold” when their trying to book a vacation on the Emerald Coast.

26 Robert Pirrung September 21, 2009 at 11:33 am

Currently called PFN by the FAA (from Fanning I guess), so Panhandle Florida (I)nternational would work for me.

27 Janet Weiner September 21, 2009 at 11:35 am

Gulf Beaches Int’l Airport captures what, I think, we are looking for. If not that, Emerald Coast Int’l.

28 Levy Wong September 21, 2009 at 11:36 am

Iam not a resident of Panama City. But I consider this as PANAMA CITY’s Airport to bring people TO Panama City. I also think it will be the most prominent airport in the region, even over Tallahassee (ever try making a flight to or from there?)
So I favor a plain and straight forward PANAMA CITY NATIONAL(or International if it will be Int’l)AIRPORT.

29 Lee Howe September 21, 2009 at 11:44 am

I met people as far away as Seattle who know where Panama City Beach is, and either fondly remember coming here, or want to come here someday.
I don’t see anything wrong with PANAMA CITY BEACH REGIONAL AIRPORT. I am, however, torn between embarrassment and laughter when I see “International” tacked onto the name. Has anyone out there ever been to an International airport? If you call yourself “international”, you’d better have Paris on the flight times and destinations board. Otherwise we just look silly.

30 Al September 21, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Florida Northwest Gulf Coast International (PCB)

I think it is important to get the Florida name in there, and this name clearly indicates that it serves all of NW Florida. Gulf Coast is better than panhandle and gives the coastal/sunshine flavor.

31 Brian McGinity September 21, 2009 at 12:05 pm

BeachPort International

32 Terri M. September 21, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I like The Emerald Coast International Airport. However,
I wouldn’t complain if the name had Paradise or Panhandle in the name. The area is truely “The Pie in the Sky”. All who live or visit the Emerald Coast know that what I mean!

33 Jane Peaden September 21, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Panama City Beach International Airport. The name of the city is needed so travelers know exactly where we are (Emerald Coast and Panhandle give you no idea where we are located), Beach markets highly to tourism, and International markets to foreign tourists.

34 Lisa S September 21, 2009 at 12:49 pm

“Emerald Coast International” gets my vote. The “coast” shows it’s Gulf Coast. The “Emerald” part separates it from the Tampa side coastline. We’re also serving Alabama to a degree too, so I don’t think “panhandle” is the greatest. There are many panhandles of several states, I’ve seen a lot of people getting them confused.
If is indeed an International airport, then it should sound like one, not a regional one. We already have a regional airport nearby. If we want to service the people in Walton County too “emerald” is more all encompassing. And isn’t that what the main attraction is around here? The Emerald Coast? It sounds exotic enough to attract foreign visitors too, especially if you want to get away from the “redneck riviera” reputation some people associate with the area.

My 11 year old son wants it to be named “St. Joe International Airport”. He thinks they should get credit since they own most of the land around here and especially the airport. He wanted to make sure I posted his entry. 🙂

35 Darrell September 21, 2009 at 1:02 pm

We should go with either Emerald Coast international or Florida Panhandle International. Of the two, Emerald Coast will be harder for people to locate initially, but will wear well and generate more positive buzz in long run.
The other choices are not good
-Panama city international has too downscale of an image.
-Florida Northwest international remind people of the North (sound cold) – and most people want to go South on vacation.
-Gulf Coast international reminds people of hurricanes.

36 Gerald R. September 21, 2009 at 1:09 pm

NW Florida/Emerald Coast Regional has a nice ring to it unless we have some International flights. If so,
NW Florida/Emerald Coast International.

37 John September 21, 2009 at 1:13 pm

May as well call it the Hathaway Airport. We weren’t successful in getting rid of that name for the new bridge, so it’s unlikes they will change the airport’s name. Change comes slowly to these folks.

38 daisym September 21, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Most commenters seem to be focusing on names that have meaning to them.

I think it makes more sense to pick a name that has more meaning to international visitors. People in Amsterdam, Kaiserslautern, Nice, Sheffield, Florence, etc. would clearly see the connection between their vision of a fantastic vacation and the destination airport to make it happen.

“Florida Gulf International” would do nicely.

39 Kevin B September 21, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Again, tourism drives our county: Panama City Beach International Airport (PCB).

40 Lisa Egstad September 21, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Florida Gulf Coast International would work

1. Northwest Florida International sounds too much like Northwest Florida Regional in Ft. Walton.

2. Panama City does not support the regional nature of the airport and

3. Emerald Coast is only known by those already familiar with the area.

41 Justin September 21, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I agree with not using NW Florida Int’l, as VPS may file a lawsuit as it infringes on their name, and aslo sounds too similar.

I’m not sure that the FAA has plans to change the ICAO, which is the four letter identifier that all airports have. We’ll see, but I have yet to hear anything at this time, but they’ll have to do it likely before February.

42 Judy September 21, 2009 at 2:18 pm

PCB Airport: White Sands International (WSI) — doesn’t exist yet as a code…

43 Val September 21, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Emerald Coast International Gateway.

Airport code ECI – A code not being used.

44 Ron Hudson September 21, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I recommend Emerald Beach Skyway.

45 Justin September 21, 2009 at 2:46 pm

One last thing, the identifier can not be KNFI. The letter N as the 2nd letter of the ICAO is reserved for U.S. Naval air fields only, not exceptions. An example is KNIP, which is NAS Jacksonville. An example of a decommissioned navy air field changing is former NAS Cecil Field in Jacksonville. It was KNZC, but was changed to KVQQ upon becoming a public airport operated by the Jacksonville Airport Authority (JAA).

46 Willie B September 21, 2009 at 3:29 pm

The Redneck Riviera International Flyway is good old southern brand.

47 David Armistead September 21, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Hello everyone the new airport name West Bay International airport. Dave

48 Rod Rosser September 21, 2009 at 3:32 pm

pfn panama city florida international airport ! Keep it cool & simple

49 Netta Puskar September 21, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Paradise Internation Airport

50 Mark Ante September 21, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I agree with the efforts of the Coastal Vision 3000 group in trying to market the whole region instead of each area competing with each other, but THE BEACH International Airport just sounds wrong. The entire region from Pensacola east to St. George Island has some shade of emerald colored water. Just because the Okaloosa-Walton County areas started using “the Emerald Coast” as their brand years ago should not detract from emerald coast as a regionally descriptive name. I really like the sound of Emerald Coast International for its simplicity, but I do see a benefit in mentioning “Florida” especially if the Airport Authority is successful in making the airport a TRUE international airport. So how about: FLORIDA EMERALD COAST INTERNATIONAL? Also we should probably keep the PFN as all the people and travel agents who already use the airport know that code. We could easily lose some customers if we go changing everything at once. Let the current & future customers continue using PFN but change the airport name to make it more marketable. FLORIDA EMERALD COAST INTERNATIONAL or FLORIDA’S EMERALD COAST INTERNATIONAL

51 Kevin B September 21, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Airport code: SUN – Let’s find a name that works with this airport code!!

52 Fred Martin September 21, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Emerald Coast International is good. That’s what our beaches are called along the Florida Panhandle.

53 Leslie September 21, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I like: Panama City Beach International
Gulf Coast Beaches International
Gulf Coast International Airport
Panhandle International Airport
Sugar Sands International Airport
Gulf Beaches International Airport
I think starting it out with ‘Northwest’; though geographically accurate and would be logical, it’s too close to FWB’s name and would be a nightmare of confusion to the tourists.

54 Brenda September 21, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Emerald Waters

55 Alicia Hartline September 21, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I think they should name the airport (Panama City Beach International Airport).

56 Richard September 21, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I like Emerald Coast.

57 Julie September 21, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I like Emerald Coast International

58 Robert September 30, 2009 at 12:21 pm

My suggestion would be Florida’s Emerald Coast International.

59 Justin September 21, 2009 at 5:39 pm

The airport identifier code, ICAO, does not always match what the airport is named. Chicago-O’Hare International’s code is ORD, which was carried over from it’s previous name, Orchard Field. The airport that this project is somewhat modeling after, Ft. Myers-SW Florida International’s is RSW.

Also, some of these names such as Sugar Sands, Emerald Water, White Sands, etc Those are fine for condo, hotel, or subdivision names, but for a International Airport seems very odd and makes almost no sense. A simple, straight forward name like Panhandle, Emerald Coast, Panama City, are fine as they get to the point in a simple name.

60 mark canfora September 21, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Northwest Florida International Airport
at Panama City Beach-

“The Gateway to the Gulf of Mexico & Emerald Coast!”

or PCB Daily International Airport.

61 JUDY September 21, 2009 at 7:48 pm

62 Rod Simmons September 21, 2009 at 8:18 pm

How about Paradise Gateway AP

63 Larry Oram September 21, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Please, NO politician names, no famous people names… past, present or future!!! No founder names, No city councilman names. No paper company names.

Here are a few suggestions…
Seaside International
Sky Marina International
Beach Gateway International
Emerald Beach International
Sun Beach International

64 Melissa September 21, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Panhandle Flordia Beaches International Airport

Needs to have a bright looking forward to arriving name. Maybe add the words SUN and SAND. No boring named after someone no one knows – make it a name everyone wants to go to.

65 tommy g September 22, 2009 at 12:19 am

hey Jason, whats up. after really thinking about this and confronting a few friends we think and agree with ECI . it covers every thing , don’t name it after anyone,way to much drama. see u at dirty dicks during thunder beach.

66 Denise September 22, 2009 at 12:56 am

Let’s call it GEM International and change the call letters to GEM. Makes it easy for everyone to remember, it’s fun sounding, which will pique the traveling public’s interest, and it’s true! It’s a GEM here! It’s fabulous, beautiful, and virtually undiscovered! Tourist dollars will roll in!

67 Bob Baker September 22, 2009 at 6:01 am

Florida International

68 Debbie Massey September 22, 2009 at 6:22 am

I agree–Panama City Beach International Airport!

69 John September 22, 2009 at 6:26 am

Redneck International Airport

It needs a punch name. That all the spring breakers can relate to it as well as the business travelers.

70 Capt Rick September 22, 2009 at 6:52 am

So far, I like Richard and Julies idea of “Emerald Coast International” The tag like could be “Welcome to our world” or “Welcome to Paradise”

71 Mike Myers September 22, 2009 at 7:06 am

Greed at Work, or maybe Environmental Titantic

72 Patrick September 22, 2009 at 7:13 am

Airport code: GEM like the stone ’cause it is one.

73 Eric T Henderson September 22, 2009 at 7:34 am

I think a great name for our new airport would be the “Panama City Patronis International Airport”. The Patronis family has done so much for our area and the family has been here all this time as well. Jimmy in politics and the Patronis Elementary School just for starters.

74 jerry September 22, 2009 at 8:29 am

We should name it White Sands PCB International

75 Netta Puskar September 22, 2009 at 8:41 am

Paradise Internation Airport gets my vote!

76 Maxie Hecht September 22, 2009 at 8:46 am

Names should tell others where you are. I suggest:
Panama City International Airport

77 Patrick M. Pfeffer September 22, 2009 at 9:05 am

I suggest “Panama City Beach International” for 2 reasons. First, I believe the word “beach” must be in the name, because the beaches are our area’s biggest draw. Second, there’s no better way to promote Panama City Beach than to have the name of the destination be part of the airport name. As a local, I want to promote Panama City Beach, not the emerald coast in general, not the Gulf Coast (which is huge and goes all the way down to Naples), not Destin, not Ft. Walton, and not Pensacola….just Panama City Beach. By naming the airport Panama City Beach International, we accomplish this end.

78 Tony May September 22, 2009 at 10:22 am

FYI: Airport code PCB is already taken–Pondok Cabe Airport in Jakarta, Indonesia!

Fort Myers (RSW)is called Southwest Florida International Airport. They advertise international service to Toronto and Dusseldorf, Germany.

Eglin (VPS) is called Northwest Florida Regional Airport. There are also a lot of references to Okaloosa County Regional Airport. Don’t know the origination of Valparaiso.

Pensacola (PNS) goes by Pensacola Gulf Coast Regional Airport in Florida.

I think “Northwest Florida Emerald Coast International Airport” tastefully says it all but VPS could have some problems with us using that name. Airport code ECI appears to be available.

I would absolutely think we can draw some Canadian and European flights that make us international. You would think the authorities have already determined if we will have federal customs services at the new airport.

This is the real deal–long term identity linked to this naming decision!

79 Don September 22, 2009 at 11:17 am

Emerald Coast International is the best so far!!!

80 JOHN September 22, 2009 at 11:26 am

81 Jason September 22, 2009 at 11:38 am

Just got word that due to overwhelming response the airport authority board is putting off discussions of a new name until the first part of octoer.

82 Kim September 22, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I agree with some of the above – please NO person’s name, past, present or future! Keep it about the area not someone. This represents a broad spectrum of the panhandle geographically, keep that in mind.

83 Margaret September 23, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I agree no names of individuals, companies, etc.
I really like Emerald Coast International Airport.
If we want this to be a vacation destination, and we are trying to entice tourist with money to visit here, spend here and more importantly return here, we need to start by naming our new international airport with something that will make sense in international markets, and shows some class.

84 Mike September 22, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Just a thought….. So far there is no airport code as “FLA” that I can find.

85 Robert Pirrung September 22, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I don’t believe the FAA ever changes the destination tag-we’ll always be PFN regardless of the name.

86 rastadoc September 22, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Boondoggle Bay International or Boondoggle Bay Regional–Whatever

87 Carolyn King September 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm

North Florida – Gulf Coast International Airport
North Florida – Emerald Coast International Airport
Florida North Coast International Airport

Please do not use the words “Panama City Beach” in the name of the new Airport. Those three words have a negative impact on this city because people immediately associate PCB with the world’s largest beer bash, wet
T-shirt contests and out of control Spring Breakers.

The new airport should be advertised as the Gateway to
the North Florida Coastline The name should make people think of North Florida as a Fun Vacation Destination for everyone to enjoy. The College kids already know where Panama City Beach is located. Now put out the welcome mat to the rest of the world without the drag of those three words, Panama City Beach.

88 Anna Ryan September 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Emerald Coast International Airport
New Horizons International Airport

89 John September 23, 2009 at 8:25 am

I agree that there should be no ego naming, i.e. after some politician, airport board member, or whatever. We would have to change the ICAO code to EGO if we do that.

Emerald Coast International is a keeper and a favorite.

I know there are still some who would call it “White Elephant International” but we have to get past that.
Not using a good old boy name would very much help.

90 Steve September 23, 2009 at 11:25 am

Greater Panama City International

91 Irena Tibbits September 23, 2009 at 12:17 pm

I absolutely like a Emerald Coast International or maybe Florida Land of Paradise International.

92 Jennifer Goodwin September 23, 2009 at 12:28 pm

We Should keep it like everyone is used to. Panama City International Airport seems to me – the only one that really makes since

93 Richard J. September 24, 2009 at 8:28 am

Gulf Riveara Internatinal It is worldwide recognizable

94 bobby weaver September 24, 2009 at 7:52 am

If you want mega traffic, I suggest you name it “Disney World Internationl”

95 Patrick M. Pfeffer September 24, 2009 at 9:15 am

96 Gina Brewer September 24, 2009 at 10:59 am

After doing some research on PCB, I discovered that many of the local cities and landmarks were named by spanish explorers hundreds of years ago.
Both of my children are currently taking spanish in school so I was able to get their input about the language. These are the names I came up with;
Blanc-Arena (white sand) Airport
Arena(sand) Airport

97 Panama Steve September 24, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I suggested Sunshine Gateway International, easy to remember, the airport is, in fact, the gateway to the Sunshine State, with an identifier of BAY–not in use in the world….

98 Panama Steve September 24, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Ooops–got bad information on Airport identifiers–BAY is in Romania….

99 Don September 24, 2009 at 8:11 pm

If the new airport hopes to be successful the name must reflect the area it hopes to serve. To be successful it must serve a much larger area than just Panama City and Bay County. I believe those with the task to select a new name will have the wisdom to know this and will select a name that appropriately reflects the larger area. Therefore I believe the new airport will be successful.

What I frequently see in comments is a gross misunderstand of our competition. PC’s competition is not Destin or other areas in our area, but beaches in other states and other areas of Florida. We will not be successful in pitting our areas against each other, but by building up the attributes all our areas share. Discounting is rampant throughout our area and hurts us all. Only by the new airport being successful and our areas working together can we all be successful.

100 Bill Moore September 26, 2009 at 8:54 am

Georgia-Alabama-Florida-International (GAF)
No seriously
Northwest Florida Coast International (NFC)

101 Montana September 29, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I concur with #40 that NW Regional Airport has already been named for the Ft. Walton Airport. I think they dropped the ball and not calling it Florida Emerald Coast Airport.
Will this airport be truly international? Is it that they will just have flights to Mexico?
Can’t wait for the finished project no matter what they call it. I hate having to travel across the MidBay Bridge and its 2.50 each way toll.

102 Vanessa Grumbley October 5, 2009 at 10:38 am

Panama International Airport

103 February 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm

How much time did it require u to publish “Name the New Panama
City Airport – Submit Here |”? It boasts plenty of beneficial tips.

Many thanks -Meagan