Looks like the improvements we were discussing for Aaron Bessant Park are, indeed, coming. Last week in a city council meeting, an “inter-local” agreement with Bay County was agreed upon to allow the City of Panama City Beach to take the lead on planning and development of this project. Although two of the council members were adamantly opposed to the improvements, there was still an affirmative majority vote – 3 to 2.
All the improvements could include:
- 60′x40′ amphitheater with permanent roof and walls suitable for theatrical productions, orchestral performances and musical events
- Expanded amphitheater lawn area (see diagram below
- Vegetative buffers around the parameter to prevent the need for temporary fencing
- The Festival Lawn (the sandy area that’s used as overflow and vedor parking behind the park) will be improved to the quality of Frank Brown Park’s festival area
- This area will support parking, play fields, and will have sod and irrigation
- Additional bathroom facilities
At this point, the exact plans have not been decided upon. The structure in a previous post is just a proposed idea. The agreement that came to pass in the city council meeting just grants the City the ability to spearhead the planning of the new project.
The next step will bring plans and workshops before the final proposal and approval process.