Panama City Beach Oil Spill UPDATE: No Oil Here Yet

by June 3, 2010 • 104 comments
Post image for Panama City Beach Oil Spill UPDATE: No Oil Here Yet

As of today, there is no oil in Panama City Beach.  There is no smell, there has not been any tar balls, oil sheen, tar mats, or oil foam reported on the beaches of the Florida Panhandle.  Right now, our beaches are just as beautiful as ever. That’s the good news.  The bad news is that oil has been reported 10 miles offshore of Pensacola.  In fact, quoting the noon report of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, “?Areas of tarballs, tar patties, and sheen have been confirmed approximately 10 miles from the Escambia County shoreline and 6 miles from Navarre Beach.”  Again, nothing on the beaches, yet.

So, short of doom and gloom predictions, I’m just going to state the facts.  This can be terrible for us, hopefully it’s not.  But, right now, we are fine.  And, even if the situation continues to move closer to our shores, it should be weeks before we see anything.  Now, on with the facts.

This is from the FDEP’s noon report.  These reports come out about twice a day and can be found here.

• Areas of tarballs, tar patties, and sheen have been confirmed approximately 10 miles from the Escambia County shoreline and 6 miles from Navarre Beach.
  • According to the NOAA oil plume model, the primary oil plume is 30 miles from Pensacola, more than 150 miles from Gulf County, and 330 miles from St. Petersburg, with non contiguous sheens and scattered tarballs closer.
  • This event has been designated a Spill of National Significance.
  • More than 20,000 personnel are working the on and offshore response.
  • Oil-water mix recovered: approximately 14.8 million gallons
  • Response vessels in use: more than 1,900
  • BP issued a $25 million block grant to Florida; first priority is booming.
  • BP has issued a second $25 million grant to Florida for a national tourism advertising campaign. ESF 18 – Business, Industry, and Economic Development has launched a national radio and print advertising campaign, promoting Florida tourism.

This is from a press release from the US Department of Commerce’s Commerce News.

• U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke today determined there has been a fishery disaster in the Gulf of Mexico due to the economic impact on commercial and recreational fisheries from the ongoing Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
  • Locke said, “Today I signed a fishery disaster declaration for Florida for the same reasons I declared a fishery disaster in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. All four of these Gulf Coast states have the potential to suffer significant economic hardship as a result of the BP oil spill,” Locke said. “Today’s disaster determination will help ensure that the Federal government is in a position to mobilize the full range of assistance that Florida fishermen and fishing communities may need.”
  • The Gulf of Mexico closure area, which is based on actual observations and the scientific trajectory of the spill, now includes 36.6 percent of federal waters in the Gulf, largely between Louisiana at the mouth of the Mississippi and the waters off Florida’s Pensacola Bay.  The southern boundary of this closure runs southward to Cuban waters.
  • The administration has requested $15 million of supplemental funding as a backstop to address this disaster, as well as $5 million of economic development assistance through the Economic Development Administration.
  • In addition, the administration is requesting unemployment coverage for this disaster, and the Small Business Administration is offering economic injury disaster loans, which can help fishermen and other affected businesses.

This is from the NOAA Deepwater Horizon Incident Page.  This page is updated at least once a day and can be found here.

• As part of BP’s efforts to cap the spewing well, they were attempting to make two cuts in the riser pipe.  One cut went as planned, and the second resulted in the blade getting stuck.  Once they get the blade unstuck, they will resume the cutting process.
  • The idea of making the cuts is to have a clean opening by which they can attach another riser pipe that will allow the flow of oil to be captured at the surface.  If this works, most of the spilling oil flow is expected to be contained.
  • Meanwhile, BP is continuing to drill two relief wells that will be complete by August.
  • Southwestern winds are causing a northeastern movement of the oil spill which is resulting in trajectories that include Pensacola in the next couple days.  Again, this is not definite, just speculation based on scientific observations.
  • NOAA Fisheries Service revised the fishery closure effective 6:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, June 2. The closure now encompasses approximately 37 percent of the Gulf of Mexico exclusive economic zone. A 2,637 square mile area of the western-most boundary south of Louisiana was reopened today – oil was projected to be in this area, but was never actually observed there.

Here are some multimedia resources I’ve found.

• Various live video feeds of ROV’s (remotely operated vehicles (underwater)) at work at depth.  As of this writing, there was no action, but maybe by the time you click on the link, you’ll see something interesting.  click here.
  • Technical update given by Kent Wells on Monday (5/31/10).  This shows what the underwater spill incident looks like, the equipment layout and some examples of what they are doing this week to get this all capped off, including equipment they are using, etc.  click here.
  • Graphic depiction of the relief well drilling process and what it’s expected to do. click here.
  • A number of Frequently Asked Questions.  click here.
  • Deepwater Horizon Response’s Facebook page. click here.
  • Deepwater Horizon Response’s Twitter page. click here.
  • National Weather Service’s Deepwater Horizon Response page. click here.
  • What happens if a hurricane comes over the oil spill.  click here.

I want to apologize for not having more video and live feeds up.  I truly wish we could spend more time doing that.  Please support our efforts in keeping you up to date.  You can support PCBDaily by advertising with us.  We have been seeing traffic of around 350,000 pageviews in the last 30 days and can offer your business some great exposure.  If you want to advertise with us, please email us at info (at) pcbdaily (dot) com.  Of course, replace the “at” and “dot” with the appropriate symbols.  We want to be able to keep you up to date with the most media rich updates possible.

As always, you can keep an eye on our Facebook page for live updates.  I’ve been shooting live video from my iPhone when I can from the beach to show that no oil is here.  You can follow us on Twitter and receive instant notifications of when I go live.  I usually go live for about 10 minutes and expect to have a live streamcast sometime Friday.  Again, if you are logged onto Facebook and are a fan of ours, you’ll see when I go live and can tune in.  Here are some urls for you to bookmark:

Additional Oil Spill Stories

1 Keith June 4, 2010 at 8:07 am

Thanks for the great info. I live in NC, but have been vacationing in PCB for 12 years. We just got back last week, and its so sad to think of such a beautiful place being soiled. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this disaster.

2 Chuck June 4, 2010 at 10:22 am

We are heading down for July 4th week for the world series baseball tournament at Frank Brown Park as are thousands of folks from around the country. Thanks for the updates. As Keith stated, we are all saddened by the thought of those beaches being damaged. We will all be watching and praying for minimal impact on the PCB area and all gulf coast beaches, shorelines.

3 Laura June 4, 2010 at 10:48 am

My family and I are planning a trip to PCB right after July 4th and we are praying all goes and stays as is right now. Panama City Beach and the entire Gulf Coast is in our thoughts and prayers!!!

4 Thomas June 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

Thanks for the updates… My family will be there next week for a deep sea fishing trip and we don’t know how that is going to plan out so, we might just be down there for the beaches.

5 Kevin June 4, 2010 at 3:29 pm

How are things looking for late July? The million dollar question now is to cancel or not to cancel.

6 Karen June 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Kevin,

I wouldn’t cancel, since you are asking. The best thing you can do now is support the businesses and people in the gulf that are affected. You can enjoy the pools and outdoor activities. The beaches are open now and if they are hit by the oil, you can still go to the pool! You can have a great time. Support PCB!

7 Kerri June 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

My problem is we have a family house there, so there is no pool. I have a 4yr old and she won’t understand if we drive 6hrs there and we can’t go to the beach and I am worried. I want to go and support but what would we do…. You go to the beach to enjoy the sun and fun and if that can’t happen, we won’t be happy.

8 James June 5, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Kevin,

Seems pointless to ask that question here as any responses are likely to be biased. I’m sure they do want you to come down. Yeah, “you can still go to the pool” but I’m almost certain you can go to a pool around your home for cheaper.

In my defense, I have plans to go to PCB in mid-July. I haven’t canceled and I still plan on going, but I have to say it’s pretty sleazy for people here to encourage others to still come down when no one truly knows what it’s going to be like in late July.

9 Chris in Tx June 5, 2010 at 11:51 pm

What do you expect!!! The entire gulf is slowly being brought to its knees by this disaster! What else can they do, no fishing, swimming, picture perfect moments on the beach, seems like their options are pretty limited bud. I think sleazy is a rather strong word.

10 Karen June 6, 2010 at 9:23 am

I think the more appropriate thing to say is to keep checking the news. There is more to think about than just the economy of the area. The typical comment is just use the pool. Everyone knows that most hotel/condo pools are not large enought to accomodate all the guests. Additionally, the fumes are the concern for my family. If and when oil comes some of the fumes can be toxic.

11 Karen June 6, 2010 at 9:43 am

I am just an optimistic person and was just giving an example of something different to do than the beach. The pool was just one of many things for people to do than go to the beach. I understand that most people vacation on the gulf for our beaches, however nobody knows day to day what is going to happen as far as the oil goes. If you are so concerned regarding health risks, than I would suggest you not go into the beach at this unknown time. If you are like me, I would come down and make the best of a vacation and have a good time. This is a crisis for the gulf and I plan on helping the crisis by spending cash in the area to help out anyway I can. The worst thing we can do now is to stop visiting the beaches on the gulf. If being positive and trying make the best out of a crisis makes me “sleazy” than so be it. I’ll keep praying for the gulf!

12 Michelle June 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Any word on what’s happening today? PCB is my absolute favorite vacation spot and it breaks my heart to think it could be ruined.

13 gail raines June 5, 2010 at 7:21 am

The latest national reports indicate the oil has now hit Pensacola Beaches and will hit the Destin Beaches this weekend — only 40 miles from PCB. But, I can’t seem to find out what the plans are for Bay County if/when the oil hits our beaches or if any sand berms or other preventative efforts are being made?
As property owners, we are receiving questions daily about our refund policy and toxicity of swimming in the Gulf of Mexico if the tar balls are present.

14 Lorie June 5, 2010 at 7:37 am

Thanks for the updates. We are headed to PCB for a family vacation in just a few days. We really don’t want to cancel, so I’m just trying to monitor the situation. So sorry for everyone who lives in the area.

15 Luanne June 5, 2010 at 8:10 am

PRAYING SO HARD FOR THE GULF!!!
SAVE OUR PLANET!

16 Brooke June 5, 2010 at 10:22 am

My family visit panama every year in august! I pray the oil doesn’t hit!! It’s like our 2nd home!! Praying for panama!!

17 Cathy June 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Just moved here and am saddened by this tragic event but encouraged by all the prayers!

Q. Is anything too difficult for the LORD?
A. Nope

18 beachdude June 7, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Why is the LORD letting this happen? Sorry, I’m not a believer but I really appreciate everyone prayers (hopes- in my book) If there was a lord I don’t think he would want 11 oil workers to die (many injured too), countless birds and sea life tortured to death, estuaries being swamped with toxic oil, beaches stained, peoples lives being wrecked (fisherman, condo owners, waitress/waiters, realtors, business owners, vacationers, etc). This happened because of humans poking around in a place we shouldn’t be. Some say its God’s way of saying stop it. Wouldn’t that be more like the devils work? All bogus. God would just make everyone change their minds in a peaceful way if he really wanted a change. Environmentalists have been proven right. Go hydrogen, solar, wind. Not coal, oil, gas. That stuff is nasty, pollutes and kills.

19 Chris in Tx June 7, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Or maybe its all part of a greater plan,,,, the long term plan. Just a thought. ;)

20 hmmmm June 8, 2010 at 8:48 am

funny that you dont believe but you know the nature of God so well

21 Donna June 17, 2010 at 12:37 pm

If its so easy to believe that a man lives in the sky who is vengeful and kind at the same time (willing to allow wars, murder, child predators, oil spills that destroy the planet “he” created, ect. but able to “save your soul”, turn water into wine, ect. ), then why is it difficult to believe that our planet & the species on said planet weren’t a simple matter of science and evolution? It seems that an intelligent human would believe the latter. Perhaps your religion is only in place to make you feel safe & control your actions.

22 Candace June 27, 2010 at 7:29 pm

With all respect, the Lord doesn’t let people die. He may call people home at their “time,” but, we let people die. Those workers, RIP, chose to be out in the middle of the gulf. They knew the dangers when they chose that type of job. People die every day. I may die tomorrow. If you read your bible, you will have a better understanding of life AND death.

23 ryan casey August 13, 2010 at 12:17 am

amen.

24 Amy June 5, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Gail Raines-As a property owner in PCB, what are they saying about swimming in the gulf if it does hit PCB? We are scheduled to come for 10 days the beginning of July and are up in the air about it. We LOVE it there and can’t imagine not coming, but our little boy is my concern. Thanks for any info you have.

25 Kerri June 8, 2010 at 10:34 am

That is my same thing I don’t want my little one getting in the water and drinking it and then an oil ball come by???

26 Paula Jackson June 9, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Same situation for my family. We LOVE PCB and have reservations July 3rd theu July 11th. We are very worried about the oil situation as everyone must be. We have not cancelled However, if oil hits shore prior to arrival we will have to cancel becasue we go to PCB for the BEACH. We are so sad about the whole situation.
Any other beach recommendations similiar to PCB but with no oil?

27 Chris in Tx June 5, 2010 at 6:07 pm

There are few things that actually make me cry,,,, must admit, I have shed many tears over this. I live in San Antonio, but like someone above me, Destin to Panama City is my 2nd home. I go at LEAST twice a year. Im going to PCB on the 21st. I hope i get to see it and enjoy the fishing for what feels like the last time. I know the beaches will be clean, but the gulf wont be the same, at least in my lifetime. Look for the JEEP with anti BP slogans all over it, thats ME!!! I pray for everyone along the gulf and god help us all.

28 Cris June 18, 2010 at 10:19 am

As of now the beaches are still beautiful and swimming in the water is still not a danger. The fishing, however, has been closed due to the increase of marine life moving closer to our shores as they flee the oil in the gulf. As a resident of the area I hope you will still come and enjoy our beaches.

29 Mrs.Curtis Huff June 5, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Me And My Family Is Heading For PCB For The Fourth Of July And We Have Been Planing For This For A Mighty Long Time I Truly Want To Go And It Makes Me Mad How This Spill Is Messing Up The Environment And Us People Vacations They Need To Find A Way To Fix This And I Hope Hope ! That They Can Stop This Disaster Before It Hit Any Where Else Or PCB I Just Hope They Can Fix This Not From They Bottom Of My Heart But From The Top Of My Heart All Those Animals And Plants Dieing Cause Of This Spill Lord This Makes Me Mad . Does Anyone Agree With Me .

30 Chris in Tx June 5, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I meant to ask,,, if they close the beach,, is it on a day to day closure (if there is obviously no sheen or oil in the water) or would they close it indefinatly till this whole oil spill is over? I am there for a week and would like to know that if its closed when i get there, the possibility of it opening again might happen.

31 Kiara in Alabama June 5, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Me and my boyfriend are headed to PCB for the 4th of july. I really hope all is well and that the oil problem is resolved. its so depressing to think of such a beautiful place being soiled and destroyed. does anyone know if the oil will hold out until after the 4th. please!!!!???? Florida’s coast will stay in my prayers!!

32 Wayneman117 June 5, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Things are moving fast…NOAA’s 72 hr projection could see Walton Beach hit soon.Thats what,49 mi. from PCB. While theres probably no oil in Panama City Beach Fl,yet…who knows what could happen in a week,or 4 to 5 days from now-I have a real deep concern. And if things don’t change very soon,beaches from Ala to Maryland could be effected. Almost would seem like;If you wanted to go to the beach,anyone on the eastern end of the US would have to go to California.Very sad…ANd our President seems to have absolutely “NO” sense of urgency on the matter,its very disturbing. I can be as optimistic as anyone,but i have about had enough.I’m very frustrated. Cap that crap and just shut it down,completely!!!!

33 Karen June 6, 2010 at 9:26 am

If you cap it then BP gets no oil…that is why Obama has no urgency. You know whose side politicians are on.

34 Anna June 6, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Well said Karen! Considering BP contributed over 70,000 to Obama’s campaign, the interest is not in capping and stopping the flow. You cant make me believe that SOMEONE, ANYONE didnt have a valid plan in place for this “what if” scenario. But someone needs to get their s— together and do something now! Pensacola has had tarballs on their beaches for 2 days now and there’s hardly anyone to be found in the way of a cleanup crew. The photos of the birds and wetlands drenched in oil are absolutely heartbreaking! They keep saying the only way to totally stop it is to drill another well right next to this one. But that will take over 2mnths to complete. Why in the hell didnt they have a crew doing that from DAY 1??? It would almost be finished by now!

35 Bobby June 7, 2010 at 9:42 am

Okay – let’s slow down here before we get all partisan. It is a well-known fact that the oil and gas industry gives much more (77% vs. 23% in fact) to Republicans than Democrats. That is 77% of 35.6 million. Compared to that, the 77,000 to Obama is an oil drop in the bucket.

Please, if you’re going to blame this on any politicians, at least check the facts first. I don’t think the blame lies with anyone except BP (and possibly politicians who voted for less regulation of oil and gas companies).

36 Mark June 7, 2010 at 10:58 am

While I agree this is not Obama or his administration’s fault, the lack of urgency has been simply amazing and disgusting to behold. For a guy who held President Bush’s feet to hot coals for a two day delay for a hurricane, I and everyone else in this country has the right to expect a whole heck of a lot more than this pathetic response.

I wish Obama would save the fuel he keeps burning to run down to the Gulf Coast – unless they plan on stuffing him in the pipe to plug it up he is wasting time and money.

My prayers go out to the Gulf coast -

37 Rachel in Bama June 5, 2010 at 11:25 pm

We’re planning our vacation to PCB on the wkend of July 4. I’m really hoping there is resolution before then! I have a friend who just got back from Gulf Shores, AL today and said the oil began to come in there yesterday. Pics to prove it and it’s so sad!
While I have a sincere concern for those people whose livelihoods are affected by this mess, I have to agree with what a previous poster commented on. If I can’t go to the BEACH, why would I take my vacation there when I can go to a pool off the coast a LOT cheaper and w/o the smell (or so I’ve heard) of oil and dead sea life on the beach? I’d like to know before I head down if beaches are going to be opened. :-/
Hoping and praying that Panama City Beach’s sugar white sands stay that way.

38 Chris in Tx June 5, 2010 at 11:46 pm

if you were referring to my comment,,, Im going no matter what,,, I almost feel like I need to see it for myself, bring some home to show my friends and family the impact, and if I cant enjoy the beach then at least I can spend hard (are you listening BP?) earned <= key word, money into a well deserved community, and do my part to lessen the impact of not only nature, but the economy of the gulf as well.

39 Jonathon crump June 6, 2010 at 9:13 am

I just left the beach at panama city I was snorkaling and fount two tar balls just thought I’d let u know

40 jaj June 7, 2010 at 6:40 pm

You “fount” 2 tarballs? Not sure how reliable your info. is. Besides, tar balls can be found in the gulf anywhere at anytime from shipes, vessels, etc.

41 Sandy Lutz June 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm

We’re all just trying to stay updated on PCB. I’m not concerned with someone’s spelling as long as we get information. If you’re so concerned with his spelling, check your own first. (shipes) Let it go.

42 Kendall & Chester June 6, 2010 at 10:35 am

We are leaving in 1 week to go hit the beach . We have been hitting the beach same time evey year , for 10 years. We are going to go one more time to try and beat the diaster. Cross your fingers and wish us luck!! (:

43 beach guy June 6, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Water and beaches are fine today, just got back from the beach. I live here on the beach and dont own a hotel or condo or work for one, so I will tell it like it is.

With the Summer s/w winds we have had for 2 weeks now, and the oil as close as Walton County its a 100% bet that we start seeing the tar balls/sheen/smell in the next day or so.

THE REAL PROBLEM IS ITS STILL FLOWING FROM THE WELL AND TILL THATS STOPPED THERE WILL BE A CONTINOUS CYCLE OF OIL ARRIVING ON AND OFF ALL SUMMER.

Look at it this way, it could be alot worse for the vacationers, it could be happening where you live.

44 todd June 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

whats the it take to accually close the beaches? a few tar balls, oil sheen, ?????
we will be in pcb on sat, we cant wait, just wondering what it takes for them to close the beaches.
thanks, todd

45 beach guy June 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm

todd, it will take a scenerio like in the movie “Jaws” for them to close the beaches , money rules here and as long as there are tourists here spending money, and not getting sick they will remain open, just my opinion.

46 Chris in Tx June 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Well as funny and hardened as you make PCB residents sound, I doubt they would wait till someone reports in sick, I think they will stay open with the tarballs, assuming their not to plentiful. Like a mom in Alabama told her children, ” just keep your mouth closed”. LOl,,,, ohhhh some poeple.

47 BECKY June 6, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I think what is happening to our ocean is horrific. I hate that nothing is being done to stop this disaster that BP has caused. I hope and pray that this will end soon. We come to Florida every year and now I don’t know what to do. This is horrible. Panama City Florida is like our second home. I hope this doesn’t hit there or any where else.

48 CondoGal June 6, 2010 at 10:14 pm

We own a condo in one of the newer resorts in PCB, and I rent it out all year.
My families are, of course, concerned and I’m giving everyone the ability to cancel at the last minute with a full refund.
But PLEASE don’t cancel if you can help it…..the PCB area NEEDS your hard earned vacation $$ and with the situation getting so much closer by the day to PCB, it’s safe to say that many condo owners will wind up being foreclosed on if they lose their rental income & can’t pay their mortgages.
I know that’s secondary to what is being done to the ocean life……the whole situation is truly just a tragedy. :(

49 Anna June 6, 2010 at 11:31 pm

It was my understanding from the lady Im renting from in mid July, that property owners are being reimbursed from BP for lost bookings. Thats the reason everyone is giving last minute cancellations with full refunds. Why then would there be foreclosures? Just wondering….

50 CondoGal June 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm

In response to the BP reimbursements……..we’ve been given some information on how to make a claim (of course, scrupulous records are necessary to prove our cases) but so far, no one I know has collected anything. From what we’ve been told, lawyers could keep things tied up for a LONG time before BP just starts handing out checks to condo owners. So we have to take our losses, keep paying our fees and anyone who is unable to do that for 6, 9, 12 months……however long it may take to wait on reimbursement…..will likely deal with foreclosure.
The economy was already bad enough down there, with HUGE drops in the pricing of condos – so much so in our resort, that it’s embarrassing to compare it to what we paid even during the preconstruction phase years back.
So it’s a wait and see, and hope that people will still want to come.
I can’t believe other owners, resorts & hotels are holding people to the 14 & 30 day cancellation policies. To me, that seems ridiculous in this situation. I’ve put myself in their shoes so I’m doing what I think is right. Some of my guests/families have waited several years, saved up, and are finally able to take a vacation…….only to deal with this.

51 PCB2010 June 7, 2010 at 7:05 pm

BP has said nothing about reimbursing any property owners for their lost rentals. There is no plan in place, to my knowledge, for that. I am a property owner on PCB and I have heard or seen nothing of the sort, and I have searched and called and asked questions. As an owner myself, I’d like to know where this lady you are renting from heard this information, because it’s news to me and everyone I know that’s an owner. She may be hoping that’s what happens, but that could take years to get any compensation from BP, and most of us will have gone under or foreclosed by then.

52 acxray03 June 6, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Excellent customer service CondoGal!! I only wish I had rented from you for my vacation. I have every intention to still visit PCB but I have two very young children who have to come first in all of my decisions. I am already going to lose my hefty deposit if I cancel and I’m not scheduled to arrive until the last week of July. I’m glad to hear you are being so fair and gracious to your guests.

53 CondoGal June 7, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Wow, that’s a lengthy cancellation policy time frame.
Have you contacted the owner/resort/hotel to see if they may have changed the policy in light of the current situation??
I sincerely hope it works out for your trip.

54 pcbbound?? June 9, 2010 at 9:39 am

We are coming the week of July 4th. We will only get a refund if the beach closes..minus a 6% admin fee.

55 Tammy June 7, 2010 at 9:19 am

We are leaving for PCB the 26th and staying until the 3rd. I haven’t been able to stay there for a week in years and I am very excited. I pray everyday that the oil will not reach those beautiful white beaches. They are, without a doubt, the most beautiful beaches in the world. There is nowhere else that I want to vacation, so even if the oil reaches PCB by then, we are still planning to go. I may not get to sit on the beach, but I will still be at my favorite vacation spot. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone and everything affected by this horrific disaster.

56 Mammam June 7, 2010 at 9:24 am

In January we rented a 3 bedroom penthouse condo at PCB so we could bring both daughters and their families down for a week in August. Our 4 year old grandson remembers it 2 years ago and every year wants to go back with us. My husband and I go down at least once a year sometimes twice. Our 22 month old and 9 month old grandsons have never seen the ocean or beach before. We were really looking forward to it but now we are on a wait and see, we have up until 14 days from our scheduled arrival to cancel for a full refund. I’m hoping and praying for the best but at the same time, I’m checking out vacation spots farther north on the east coast, maybe Myrtle Beach.

57 Renee June 7, 2010 at 9:53 am

My family and I are traveling this week to PCB. There are two members of our family that will be celebrating their graduation. We have planned this trip since January and have paid for all of these accommidations, I must say I AM VERY UNNERVED at the moment. It seems that maybe the oil and my family will arrive at the same time!

58 Luci June 7, 2010 at 10:30 am

We can send a man to the moon, but there isn’t anything to clean this up. I find this hard to believe with the advances in technology. The pictures of the clean up were embarassing—three men, one with a shovel and one with a plastic bag. This is the U.S.A. folks! Something is sooooo very wrong here. And we’re all sitting back and letting our government, who is supposed to represent us, do nothing. Why is it that every catastrophe in the world the U.S. jumps immediately to help? Over 14 countries have offered assistance and have been rejected? Even Kevin Costner is working with an environmental company that has machinery to help with oil spills, and also rejected? The general that has worked with the Shell Oil Company suggested tankers to surround the oil and collect it from the surface, again rejected? I’m sure if this had happened in CA or the east coast, this would have been cleaned up within a week. Everyone should be contacting their government officials and do something about this now!! This is just wrong, and everyone should be ashamed of whats happening or let me rephrase this—WHAT’S NOT HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!

59 Mark June 7, 2010 at 11:07 am

Well said Luci. In the US, we seem to have this huge government with crushing regulations for the little guy but all the regulations never seem to prevent the big disasters – i.e.

- Environmental disaster in the gulf (EPA/Minerals Mgmt, etc.)
- Housing crisis (FNMA, Freddie, etc., etc.)
- Madoff Ponzi scheme and stock market disasters (SEC)

Just wait for more regulations to come from our current pathetic bunch of politicians to hurt the little guy which we can rest assured will be completely inadequate and fruitless to prevent the big disaster.

60 beach guy June 7, 2010 at 11:55 am

Of the 4 states affected so far, LA AL MS and the NW FL region all vote republican, there is no love for Obama in these areas, nor will there ever be. Its a national issue, but the population in these area is miniscule in the big picture of the country. Its affecting such a small part of the USA population, and the only people who care are those who live here and those who are worried about their vacations.

If this had happened off the California coast it would be so much more important to the current administration. Im not saying Obama can do anything to fix this, but there are more politically important areas in this country than here. Just wait till something more news worthy happens, the news teams will all leave, and we will be left to take care of this mess. Just my opinion.

61 ga traveler June 7, 2010 at 12:13 pm

It appears that the oil hitting the beach is imminent, it’s just a matter of when.

We have not been to PCB in two years and would like make a 4-5 day trip, starting maybe next Saturday. Other than keeping a eye on this board, any input from locals? Wish this mess would pass you, but it looks like it’s on its way.

thanks
N. GA

62 CondoGal June 7, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I have June 26-July 3 open now, as well as, July 31-August 7.
One was a medical cancellation; the other was due to being scared about the oil.
My current guests down there texted me a little while ago that they’ve heard the oil is 7 miles from PCB, but I haven’t confirmed that w/ any news agency online. They don’t smell or see anything. Red flags are currently up for the ocean, but due to the rip tide.

63 RC June 7, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I just filed a claim with BP today for a condo rental cancellation. Everything I read says BP is liable. You just need to document it properly. It was our first cancellation and we are giving a full refund. We just require in writing that they are canceling due to the BP oil spill.

I will keep everyone posted on how long it takes to get any money or if they deny the claim.

RC

Just do a google search for “lost rental income bp oil spill”. Tons of info.

An example from a Pensacola paper article:

These tips come from Escambia, Santa Rosa and state officials
• Take detailed records of cancelled reservations. It is important that when these cancellations occur, the cancelling party is questioned whether the cause is because of the oil spill. If the answer is yes, keep a record of the person’s name and contact information, and also the revenues lost as a result of the cancellation.

64 CondoGal June 8, 2010 at 6:11 am

Thank you for the info RC. I’ll be filing my first claim this week.
So they gave no indication of how long it may take to receive reimbursement?

65 RC June 8, 2010 at 8:18 am

The process is to first file the claim. That part takes only a few minutes. I am supposed to be contacted by an adjuster this week who wil actually verify my loss. I don’t have any idea how long this will take to acually get money.
RC

66 dtredy2go June 7, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Loss of business claims – Businesses should keep detailed records of any business losses resulting from the oil spill. Businesses, including hoteliers, sport fishing charters, watersports rental companies, etc., that may be negatively impacted are asked to keep detailed profit and loss records and track any cancellations, should a claim need to be presented. BP has established a claim system and toll free number: 800-440-0858. This system will allow people to be entered into a process to recover lost income or recoup damage-related expenses.

67 SanMan June 8, 2010 at 8:08 am

Beach Guy…heading our Thursday with my family to PCB for the 12-19 we are not cancelling , but what should we expect to find on Saturday…thank you for the posts so far…

68 beach guy June 8, 2010 at 11:43 am

Sanman, all is good again today, I was at the beach this morning. From what I can tell talking to friends 20 miles west of PCB, its there in certain spots (just scattered tarballs) but not here yet. Just my opinion, but Id guess your trip will be fine next week, you will proably have to deal with some tar balls if the projections are accurate as of today.

Hope your vacation turns out well for you.

69 Joyce Hopkins June 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

thanks for the uncensored video footage! We will help keep the most beautiful beaches just that way!

70 Lele June 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Hello I have a vacation booked for the 19th-26 of June. Was wondering if anyone has any idea how the beaches are looking as of today? (6-8-10) And maybe some insite on how they might be in two weeks?? I want to go so bad but there is a group of us going and others are very concerned about the water conditons! Our property owner isn’t giving any type of full refund even if the beaches shut down and wants to keep like 420.00 if we cancel now! I am heart broke.

71 Christy Walker June 10, 2010 at 8:22 pm

My family is going to pcb too, around the same time you are going how is the oil slick conditions?

72 Lele June 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Beach guy thank you for all the updates! I am in Ilinois and having someone that lives there keeping people posted is great!! Keep enjoying those beautiful beaches. My fingers are crossed that I get to!!

73 Pam June 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm

My family and I will be traveling to PCB on Saturday (6/12) for a week vacation. It will be sad if the beaches are soiled/closed, but we will make the best of it regardless.
This issue is much bigger than my vacation and I am hopeful that the impact to PCB businesses and the livlihood of all PCB business employees will be minimal.

74 Issabel Robles June 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm

We are scheduling to go on 4of July week. We would like to receive updates so we can still plan our vacation. Please keep me posted thanks

75 Debbie Lorenz June 8, 2010 at 6:35 pm

My family and I are planning our vacation for the week of 7/3/10 -7/9/10. Hopefully, the beaches will still be clear for us and the residents of Panama City Beach but we sure would appreciate it if you would keep us posted.

76 Larry O June 9, 2010 at 11:57 am

I do feel awful for all of the people living in the surrounding area of the oil spill. Anyone know why we couldn’t recruit some of the prisoners in FL, MS, LA to aid in beach cleanup? Doesn’t this then make it “cheaper” and give them a chance to work outside the gates…
I have planned a vacation with my family to PCB on the 26th of June until the 4th of July. I am pretty sure that we will cancel, but don’t want to. I have 4 children and two are still infamts/toddler. I just don’t want to take the chance of making the 15 hour drive and then,BAM, oil…
Best of luck to all this has and will effect. It is just a shame to see Louisiana hit again with another tragedy…

77 Chris in Tx June 9, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I like your thought process!! Very Nice. LOL take your thought to BP,,, im sure they’ll listen.

78 anchorman51 June 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm
79 Thad Allen June 9, 2010 at 1:53 pm
80 Baxter June 10, 2010 at 10:13 am

Actually, the forecast for PCB as it concerns the oil, DOES NOT look grim at all currently! As of 2 days ago, the winds and currents have shifted AWAY from PCB, which will inhibit any further eastern movement of the spill over the next few days. In fact, long range surface wind forecasts from the GFS model for the period 8 – 14 days from now show a southeasterly wind regime, which would PREVENT ANY FURTHER PROGRESS OF THE OIL EASTWARDS ALONG THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE. Unfortunately, this is bad news for MS and LA, but I would encourage those of you who are planning to vacation in PCB not to listen to all the doom and gloom and cancel your vacation plans because the current facts for PCB do not support the hysterics!

81 Thad Allen June 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm

You just can’t make this stuff up, folks.

82 beach guy June 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Pensacola/Perido Key is getting the heavy oil sludge mix this afternoon. Here is the link.

Its moving towards the east regardless of the wind direction at this point.

83 Robert Stevens June 10, 2010 at 12:56 pm

NOT FUNNY – making up that picture!

84 beach guy June 10, 2010 at 9:05 am

Walked the beach this morning, water/sand is looking great.Just my opinion.

85 Christine June 10, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Wow. You give an honest heart-felt statement which is respectful in nature and it gets deleted.

My post was neither abusive or disrespectful in any manner. You may not appreciate the honesty, but I don’t appreciate my freedom of speech being violated.

Do what you want vacationers. I wish the best of luck to everyone and prayers for PCB.

86 James June 11, 2010 at 7:09 am

I missed your comment… What did you say?

87 SanMan June 12, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Arrived today with my family and the beach is beautiful and the PCB folks are happy to have us…less crowded than previous years, staying about 3 miles down from Pier Park and here till the 19th. Will keep you all posted with anything news worthy. Nice to see it for myself….Beach Guy was right on….

88 Joe June 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Had a “graduation get away” planned with some buddies for a week with starting the 7th of July now debating on going to pcb or myrtle beach hopefully the beaches are still clean but would really appreciate someone keeping things updated

89 SanMan June 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm

No OIL….beach is great and the crowds are low and the service is great….

90 Tiffanie June 14, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for the updates, keep them coming. Have a trip planned to Panama, July 18. Really worried about the beaches.

91 BamaGirl June 17, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Beachguy * We are reservations for 26th-3rd, seen on CNN today where it has hit Ft. Walton- What do you think? I have 2 small children & my brother also is coming down with is 2 children… we are really worried… we love PCB and have been visting for many years! This is so sad!

92 beach guy June 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I was at the beach this morning, and again this afternoon, I saw no signs of oil, or smell , just lots of the green slime. By all the forecasts I have seen it should be here at any time. Another thing that tells me its very close is the last 2-3 days the local news is saying its inevitable it will be here this week, where a week ago they were still pretending nothing was happening.

I wish I could tell you what is going to happen a week from now, but I cant. Id wait a few more days and we should have a much better idea as to whats going to hit here. Just my opinion.

93 Cris June 18, 2010 at 10:37 am

If you have any questions or concerns about whether to take your vacation here with us on the beautiful beaches of PCB please check out http://www.pcbdaily.com. They have been extremely diligent in their updates.

94 Lou June 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Loved your informative links and updates. Editorial note: your ad, “Need a Website?” should read, “pcdaily is run …. instead of “pcdaily is ran by the most talented designers and marketers in NW Florida.”

95 Candace June 27, 2010 at 7:31 pm

We are going to Pcb whether it “oils” or not. There are so many other things to do, including, swimming in our beautiful pool at the condo, going to do countless other things and just relaxing. I will miss getting in the ocean tho. Better luck next year!

96 KEITH July 1, 2010 at 10:24 am

It’s July 1st, and we are getting ready to come down to PCB. I’ve been checking PCB Daily…daily… and have not seen any reports since June 28th. Sorta making me wonder/worry why no updated report. Has oil/tarballs hit PCB and you’re just not reporting it? Hope not ! !
We are looking/hoping/praying for a clean, beautiful PCB since it will be our first trip down from Winston Salem, North Carolina.

97 Joy July 1, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I have been checking every day as well. We are leaving for PCB tomorrow! Can anyone provide any updates on beach/water conditions?? Smells???

98 Hoosier July 1, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Been here since Sat, and will be leaving July 3rd. I have not seen any oil, tar balls or smells. Ocean has been crystal clear with 4 to 5 foot waves. We have had double red flag yesterday and today. Hopefully the rough seas will die down soon with Alex out of the gulf. We almost cancelled our trip, but glad we didn’t. Our 2 boys had a blast (we did too). We have seen some BP people come in on a charter bus, but never seen them walk the beach. If I didn’t read/hear the news, I’d never know there was an oil spill. As of now, beaches are great other than the rough seas.

99 Ken July 2, 2010 at 4:54 am

Hoosier Snowbird glad to hear your report. We have been wintering at Emerald Isle for several years and are hoping all will be good there for Winter 2011.

100 Keith July 2, 2010 at 8:44 am

sounds good Hoosier…thanks for your report

101 Bonnie July 2, 2010 at 9:53 am

We are headed that way next Wednesday. I have been checking this website daily also. We are excited about coming. I hope the oil stays far far away, not only for us but for the residents of PCB also!!

102 sherry July 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Im heading out this Sat so I have been keeping updated thru this so thanks a bunch..

103 yvonne austin July 10, 2010 at 6:49 pm

we just came from panama city it was beautiful like allways no oil

104 SW Florida Web Design September 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm

What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered
It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.

I am hoping to contribute & help different customers like its helped me.
Great job.