Pier Park played host to The Beach’s Taste of The Beach Friday evening. With hundreds of wines to taste and 8 restaurants participating, a broad range of flavors wafted through the air.
“We expect 600 to 700 people here tonight,” said Paul Wohlford, VP of Sales and Marketing for the Resort Collection of Panama City Beach.
I’ve never been a good estimator of quantity, but I’d say if they hadn’t hit that mark, they sure were close.
Pier Park closed off the main boardwalk section between Hofbrau Beer Garden and Buffalo Wild Wings to place two tasting tents with a wide assortment of wine, cheeses, food and deserts. Sponsors came from all of northwest Florida to participate, in addition to local Pier Park restaurants.
The restaurants that had a food sampling were Baja Grille, Margaritaville, Back Porch, Reggae J’s, Hofbrau Beer Garden, Buffalo Wild Wings, Longhorn Steak House, and Firefly. All of the food was great, and many offered discount cards to dine at their restaurant during the off-season.
As people tasted, reggae music floated through the air. The mood was pleasant and everyone seemed to be having a good time.
The schedule for the rest of the weekend:
- Telluride Mountain Film Festival
- Friday and Saturday night, November 7 & 8th, 2008
- Mountain Film Festival celebrates the best in independent thinking – where adventure is celebrated, history is important, and people are passionate about what they believe. It attracts an audience seeking a culturally rich, conversation-inspiring experience in which to discuss films, share ideas and be inspired, all under a dramatic canopy of stars. Showtimes are 7 to 10 pm and gates open at 6 pm. Tickets are $25 per person for one night, or $40 per person for two nights; kids 5 to 12 are 50% off, and free to children under 5.
- Seeing Red Wine Festival
- Saturday, November 8th, 2008, 1 – 5 pm
- Join us for an intimate afternoon of wine, food and music in the tranquil beauty of Seaside, Florida. As you explore, sample and expand your knowledge of the latest in trends in wine from aficionados who are willing to meet and educate you. $100 per ticket.
- Winemaker & Shaker’s Dinners
- Saturday, November 8th, 2008, 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- “Winemaker & Shaker’s” Dinners will be held in the area’s finest restaurants along the Northwest Florida Gulf Coast. Celebrity vintners will be paired with a spectacular chef at each of these locations to create an unforgettable evening. $150 per ticket.
- Rosemary Jazz Brunch
- Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 10 am – 1 pm
- The Rosemary Jazz Brunch blends premium wines, gourmet food and Gulf Coast culture into a sophisticated, educational and entertaining event. Brunch with champagne, light wines and the Green Hit Band on a tranquil day as you take in the sights of beautiful Rosemary Beach. $50 per ticket.
- Taste of The Beach & Charity Auction
- Sunday, November 9th, 2008, 3 – 6 pm
- Taste of The Beach & Charity Auction at the luxurious Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort and Spa. Guests will be treated to distinctive wines from internationally acclaimed vintners, the area’s top restaurants. While wining and dining attendees will enjoy live music and the excitement of a silent auction. The night will culminate with a high-energy and entertaining live auction that will include rare and distinctive wines, themed get-a-ways and other spectacular, one-of-a-kind items. $150 per ticket.