This week in Pier Park – Fish Tales, Sunglass World and GNC Signs Up

by February 1, 2008 • 15 comments

Huge progress this week at Pier Park, including the paving of the entry way from Front Beach Road, the installation of landscaping and more tenant signage up.  Every week, more signs will start showing up as spaces are being turned over to their tenants for interior treatments.  Buffalo Wild Wings is already working on the inside (maybe even close to being done) and most of the tenants are hiring.  If you are looking for a job, let me know and I’ll point you in the right direction.

I think the Grand Opening will be sometime around Valentines day, but I’m not for sure.  I will post more on that when I know.

The whole place is really coming together and looking fantastic.

Click below for more pictures.

Additional Pictures Stories

1 Ioshius February 3, 2008 at 10:35 am

The Grand Opening of Pier Park South is set for Valentine’s Day, Feb. 14th. Buffalo Wild Wings is done on the inside.

2 Michelle February 4, 2008 at 10:55 am

I’m very happy and excited about Pier Park however I’m not too impressed with the choice of stores.
Maybe there will be more to come but right now Destin is still the place to go to shop. I moved here 3 yrs ago from Jersey and hope with all my heart that PCB, in the most 5-10yrs will become even better than Destin……Its beautiful here and has a lot of potential…Unfortunetly its going to take a while and when I mention the changes in PCB to people in destin or in the towns of 30A they look at me like “PCB is nice, not when i went there last”…..we need to drag these people from those areas here and show them PCB is just as good and going to be better than any other town around here…

3 Rick February 5, 2008 at 6:29 am

This is not meant as a put down ( I live here and own business’s here)…But if some attention is not paid to bringing the level of service up that our “service industry workers” provide…you may get the people here that can financially support these business’s once…but they won’t come back if they are not “properly” taken care of. “WE WON’T GET A SECOND CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION”!

4 Lisa February 5, 2008 at 8:36 am

I live near Destin and recently, I stopped to buy gas at the Shell Station on the corner of Highway 98 and 79 in Panama City Beach. I went in to buy a drink and had to stand there and wait for the 2 girls behind the counter to finish their arguement before I could pay. When I finally spoke up and asked, “Can I pay for this?” one girl angrily responded that I was rude for interrupting. This is just one typical example of the low class, redneck, ignorant mentality that I’ve experienced on visits to Panama City Beach. Every time I go over there, I can’t wait to get back across the Walton County line. I hope businesses at Pier Park will be able to find and train courteous employees and I wish them lots of luck.

5 Jason February 5, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Whoa, easy there, Lisa. Many may take offense to your comments. I’m going to have to argue that if you think the staff at the Destin convenience stores are in some way NOT low-class, redneck or ignorant, I suggest you visit a few over your way again. Last time I checked, convenience stores don’t usually attract the best people for employment.

I don’t like this Panama City Beach vs. Destin thing that has been going on forever. They are both different places and each have their advantages and disadvantages. My family ownes in both and we love them both.

6 Michelle February 5, 2008 at 3:25 pm

I agree…a gas station is a gas station is a gas station…that was rude for an employee to say that to a customer but I wouldnt say other counties, towns, cities or states with gas stations are any different……

Rick, what happened in your case?

7 Michelle February 5, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Lisa I’m surprised that as a realtor how ignorant you are. I understand your view to a point since I am not from here and do occasionally see that attitude but don’t shun the whole town.

8 Michelle February 5, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Lisa I’m surprised as a realtor how ignorant you are. I understand your view to a point since I am not from here and do occasionally see that attitude but don’t shun the whole town.

9 Rick February 5, 2008 at 10:48 pm

I was not speaking of a specific “case”. In general though, I look around at all “service” type workers…from wait staff, to desk clerks, people that work at various attractions, etc. and I do not see that service is a passion. My staff truely works hard to insure that our customers leave either of our business’s with a sense of complete satisfaction. If everyone works to that end and not just “to the end of the week for the paycheck” Panama City Beach will become the destination that we all hope it is heading towards. I just don’t see that there is enough “give a damn” as a whole.

10 Cheryl February 6, 2008 at 8:39 am

I think Pier Park is going to be wonderful. What a boost to our area. The only negative thing I see is the parking at THE GRAND THEATERS. What were they thinking when they designed that. I feel sorry for the person that goes to the movie by themselves at night. Talk about unsafe. That parking is crazy!!

11 Ian February 6, 2008 at 8:58 am

In response to the question about parking at the Grand Theaters, the reason why the parking is in the back of the building was a direct function of the tenant not wanting to modify their building footprint at the time of master planning the site.

Once the rest of the buildings South of Hilton Dr. are open especially building E (curved building & plaza south of the theater) the parking situation will improve drastically.

Pier Park was meant to be a “hybrid” lifestyle center with anchors, big boxes, entertainment and small shops combined in one retail complex. The concept has always been a “Main Street” or in this area an extention of the Pier / Boardwalk and should be shopped in this manner.

12 Jason February 6, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Ian.

13 Ian February 6, 2008 at 5:30 pm

No Problem Jason… as you can probably tell, I have a pretty good understanding of the project and can answer “most” questions concerning Pier Park within reason and confidentiality.

14 Pat February 11, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Looking for info about what shops are open for shopping at Pier Park. This Thursday, Feb. 14, a group of us Red Hat Ladies will be coming over to PC from a neighboring county and would love to drive out to browse and shop. Will look for your reply. Thanks!

15 30A Girl December 12, 2009 at 11:35 am

As one of 30A’s newest residents, transplanted from Niceville, I must say that it is actually quicker and easier to get to Pier Park from where I am than it is to get to the Commons in Destin and definitely closer than going to Fort Walton to the mall there to go to the Anchor stores of Dillards and JCPenny. Pier Park is a pleasant atmosphere and is usually not too crowded which makes it more enjoyable to go to because I don’t do crowds very well. Kudos to the Pier Park team for bringing an alternative shopping experience than Destin Commons and Santa Rosa Mall in Fort Walton