It’s Decided – The Treasure Ship will not be Re-Built

Post image for It’s Decided – The Treasure Ship will not be Re-Built
by September 13, 2010 • 8 comments
It’s Decided – The Treasure Ship will not be Re-Built

After months of speculation since the devastating fire on April 28th 2010 left the beloved Treasure Ship restaurant just a shell of its former glory, owners Lisa and Jimmy Todd have decided not to re-build. The historic landmark was opened in 1978 and since became one of Panama City Beach’s favorite eateries, thanks to its glorious waterfront setting, abundance of character, great food and friendly staff.

Lisa Todd recounted the great number of people that always shared their memories of the Treasure Ship, including the romantic proposals and special family gatherings that will always play a big part in its legacy. “The community response has been wonderful” says Todd. “We appreciate all the support both over the years and to this day. We are very saddened to share this news but at the same time, feel that it is the right thing to do.”

Rebuilding the Treasure Ship would have been ultimately cost prohibitive, and after having 3 separate engineering firms examine the structure, the Todds decided to make the hard decision, move on, and look forward to the next chapter.

While nothing will succeed the Treasure Ship for a fairly lengthy period of time (possibly a year or two), one day something else will occupy the same beautiful spot that this remarkable Panama City Beach icon called home for 32 years. Of course we will welcome whatever that may be whenever that happens, but nothing will ever replace the Treasure Ship in our hearts and our memories.

Here are some of the original burn photos.

Additional Attractions Stories

1 captgeobob September 14, 2010 at 10:20 am

Great location for a “lighthouse” type bar and eatery. When something is built there I hope its not going to be another huge, ugly tourist attraction, but just for once something that goes well with the marina, etc.

2 mark September 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Great article on panama city beach hotels. We appreciate the information!

3 Jasmine September 15, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Great place for a casino : P

4 Cathy September 20, 2010 at 8:39 am

I have just returned to work today from my weeks vacation to PCB, my family & I had wondered if this was in the process of being rebuilt or at a standstill since we didn’t see any workers at the sight last week.
I guess this is the answer to our question.
I think it’s a sad decision and one that PCB may regret although I do understand the cost of this re-build project and the engineers output.
Hopefully since this is a very good spot on the bay they will take this into account & build something of great magnitude for all to see!

5 rachel eubanks March 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Its so sad I was looking forward to taking my family one day.

6 Sam April 7, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I too have been going to this very awesome PCB resturant site. I am very sorry that it has burned down and have been following the forward progress of the decision to build or not rebuild via the web. My suggestion: For all of the people that have been coming to this loving PCB landmark, including myself, why don’t the locals in PCB hold a donation somewhere in PCB so that customers who visited there and know the significants of the site, could donate anything from $1.00 and go up either in person or on the web? I think that all those like myself that know about this PCB landmark and loved it, and STILL do, would like to donate something to bring it back to life somehow. I also think with all those people donating that the owners could be able to rebuild. I think they would get a huge response to this idea and I don’t think it would take long to achieve a cost goal. Just a thought!

7 Angela Bussey Glassford April 14, 2011 at 5:12 am

This historical monument will be missed. My family and I have visited the ship on every PCB vacation. I remember going there with my grandparents, who I miss dearly. I went there to remember all the great memories I had with them. It will always be a place I will remember sharing smiles and laughter with my family.

8 Alan Bastanpour June 8, 2011 at 10:16 am

I am a Georgia resident and we have been going to this restaurant since I was 7 years old. In recent years, I have been taking my son to this restaurant. It’s really sad to see this iconic restaurant closed. Perhaps, someone would buy the property and rebuilt.

Who knows, anything is possible.