What do you want to hear about?

by January 13, 2012 • 36 comments

Jason Koertge has an awesome vacation rental business in Panama City Beach that focuses on remarkable properties around the Pier Park area.  They range from 1 to 3 bedrooms, they’re clean, and amazing.  He can be found lurat PCBLP.com.

Ok, so I’ve worked out a deal with the owners of PCBDaily to be a regular contributor again, and I have some ideas on what to write about.  But, I want to hear from you what you’d like for us to report on.

There are a number of things going on up and down the beach.  Here is what I’m planning on writing about in the next couple weeks.

• State of the real estate market
  • 2012 tourism predictions
  • Update on the Aaron Bessant Park improvements
  • Update on the Thomas Drive CRA construction
  • How to rent your condo all by yourself
  • Revise the Pier Park list of stores
  • Revise the Pier Park list of restaurants
  • An article on a new residential development

These are some of the things I’m planning on writing about.  What are some of the things you’d like to see?  Let us know in the comments below.

Additional Featured Stories

1 S.G. January 13, 2012 at 8:34 am

I would like to hear about all the topics that you listed. In particular, how to rent your condo on your own, and anything that concerns new businesses or improvements to the city. I always enjoy reading PCB Daily.

2 Craig KCMO/Laguna Beach January 13, 2012 at 8:39 am

Jason, I always look forward to what you have to say regarding the PCB economic environment I also enjoy Kacyn’s updates on the social scene (I refer renters to PCBDaily to get a list of whats going on in PCB). Keeping us abreast of new social, economic and infrastructure developments is the best way to keep reader returning to the website. Thanks to both you and Kacyn for your efforts. BTW it’s 12 degrees here…ugh.
Craig

3 Cathy January 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

Morning Jason……. I’ve been a faithful follower of your posts for several years now & took great delight in reading all your articles. I find them very informative to us out-of-towners who visit PCB quite often, it keeps us knowledgeable on what is going on while we aren’t there. All the topics you have listed I’d love reading & knowing about, who knows perhaps one day I will be a property/condo owner in this place I love so much.
When I visit PCB for my vacations I would love knowing what is going on (if anything) the weeks I am planning to be there so I can go to it & enjoy the festivities too. Is there anyway to keep visitors informed “early” articles on what may be taking place possibly a month ahead of time? The next thing I would like to mention to you is future articles covering things that are so so near to PCB that visitors could drive to (short day trips)….. Scenic Hwy. 30A, Beautiful & so so close by. We took this day trip in Sept. when my hubby & I were down for our anniversary…… beautiful places to see & took some awesome photos of the coast. Not many PCB visitors would believe how the coast changes to somewhat cliff overlooks. Another day trip is down the other way to Apalachicola & all the small boutique shops (The Tin Roof) one just to mention is loaded with everything imaginable, then possible on over to St. George Island to sight see.
Some visitors come to PCB really not knowing what is right around the next corner or even how to get there…… why not let them know? Some may say well that’s taking visitors away from PCB but I don’t really believe that…… we have vacationed in PCB since I was born “long ago I might add” and we are still coming back & doing our day trips too! We enjoy it!
So, there is my 2 cents worth this morning for all it’s worth…….
It is 24 here in Nashville Tn. this morning and we have spotted snow & ice. Burrrrrrr
Cathy/Tennessee

4 PCB Citizen January 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

The title is PCBDaily. I would like to see a focus on improving the lives for residents who live and work here *daily*.

Many issues need to be addressed:
Why is there no diversified economy with good-paying jobs?
Why is there no real recycling program?
Why so few parks, so little public beach access, so few recreation facilities?
Why such insufficient public transportation?
Why such little concern for air and water quality?
Why so few good restaurants? So few dining choices for ethnic and vegetarian foods? Why the predominance of boring, unhealthy bar food everywhere?

I guess the blogsite is advertiser-driven. So the editorial focus aims to present only stories that interest TOURISTS.

As a resident, I like the current event news about entertainment, new development, and events. But beyond that, I don’t see the needs of residents addressed.

I feel bad for the young people in this area; their future is being neglected.

The entrenched tourist interests here have turned away good-paying industry for decades so they can continue paying local employees minimum wage.

Seems to me that the millions in taxes generated from visitors is simply funneled back into bringing more tourists instead of diversifying the economy for Florida residents, many of whom come from generations of Floridians who love their state.

Floridians can’t even get a Gator or Seminole on the Cox Cable’s Hwy 98 billboard. The football player’s uniform is Alabama.

5 Sandy January 13, 2012 at 10:11 am

An article on how the people feel about a casino on the beach. How it would help our economy and bring jobs. There has been rumors for years about Lake town wharf being wired for slot machines. Any truth to that rumor.

6 Andy Hartin January 13, 2012 at 10:07 am

Keep us posted of future business developments on both the residential and business end. This is good information for people like myself that are looking to get a jump on the market opportunities. Thanks.

7 Charlie January 13, 2012 at 10:20 am

Cathy/TN
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please economize your responses.
Bla,Bla,Bla.

8 Cathy January 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Charlie………. Thank you & now, what did you have to say?

9 Christine January 13, 2012 at 10:20 am

Glad to hear you will once again be contributing. We miss your posts! Would like to hear more about what is being done to revitalize Front Beach Road….are there any efforts to eliminate the tacky Purple Haze, Pawn Shops, etc. We need sidewalks on Front Beach Road so we can walk to Pier Park! More about the Pier Park expansion….we out of town Condo owners need a Home Goods and some Furniture Stores. Also coverage on all the events (such as Seabreeze Jazz Festival) that are bringing more tourism and dollars to the area. thanks for all you do!

10 Greggt January 13, 2012 at 11:54 am

Just a note Christine, as far as Home Goods and Furniture Stores, we have found the Panama City area rich in these types of stores. On Home Goods our favorite is Florida Linens, you then have Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Pier One, and of course Dillard’s. Many of our purchases have been in our local area or on line, then we bring the stuff down with us.
On furniture, not only do we have several stores specializing in condos but a few consignment shops that specialize in this area. One we have recently found is Factory Direct Furniture on the West end of Hwy 98.
I agree, we have made a start making Thomas Drive and Front Beach Road not so tacky but it would be nice to learn about additional projects in the works. I know that a couple years ago there was some design work put into the Hwy 79 intersection with 98 but that project seemed to just disappear??

11 Stacy January 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Yes I would be curious to hear what is going on with the hwy 79/FBR intersection as well 😉

12 NENETTE SEAUX January 13, 2012 at 11:43 am

I WOULD LOVE HEARING ABOUT NEW THINGS TO DO FOR TOURISTS THAT VISIT. I AM FROM LOUISIANA AND COME TO THE BEACH 4 TIMES A YEAR. I JUST WISH THERE WERE MORE THINGS TO DO. SURE DO MISS MSAP, THEY SHOULD HAVE NEVER CLOSED THAT PLACE NOR PETTICOAT JUNCTION.

13 Bernard January 13, 2012 at 11:56 am

I think you are already doing a great job of reporting. The information that everyone is interested in now is Springbreak and Thunderbeach, Entertainment happening, ie Jazz Festival. Keeping us informed on the real Estate ups and downs, Incoming Stores and attractions in Pier Park and the PCB area. Status of Casino and slots machine possibly coming into this area. As far as the airport when if ever they intent to open an international Pod for Canadian, European and South Americain airlines. Then we could replace the Springbreakers with Families and make PCB, totaly family oriented as Branson Missouri is. finaly Road and Parks improvrement and such.

14 Greggt January 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Great comments Bernard! not only would the addition of casinos help solve the Spring Break problem but also go a long way solving the “big stretches” that the TDC makes in an effort to bring in tourists during the off season. There are several great areas on the beach for a Las Vegas/Biloxi style casino such as the property at Emerald Beach, Grand Panama, etc. Maybe some of this money could be used to “de-tacky” some of the beach area such as all the telephone poles, additional sidewalks, etc instead of putting together some of the activities they have come up with.

15 jeanne January 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Thanks GreggT, my sentiments exactly about de-tackying the area adjacent to the beaches.

16 Stacy January 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Continue keeping us posted on market trends, real estate, new companies opening, whats coming, etc etc That is always important. Also – any new attractions possibly coming – including talks about casinos, amusement etc

You do a great job – keep up the great work!!

17 Capt Linda Cavitt January 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

maybe a fishing story? =)

18 Dana January 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

WHY is it taking so long for each phase of the CRA project on Thomas and Front Beach Road to get finished? WILL they finish before Spring Break– if not what a traffic mess we will have on Front Beach Rd!!! The next phase will begin in front of my building at 10611 Front Beach and I PRAY that they do not take near as long as they have with the current project. Whomever is in charge of the project(s) needs to GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER and get it done MUCH FASTER!

19 Christy January 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

I have to agree with what you said Dana. I would also like to know how much longer the construction will take on Thomas Drive. If my mind serves me correctly; the last 3 years I have been down, Thomas Drive has been worked on.

20 Sherry January 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm

all of those articles are the reason I regularly check this web site. Thanks for contributing about the items that are affecting the area, property values and things of interest to us and our renters.

21 jeanne January 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I often miss events that I would really enjoy. A weekly lising of events that might appeal to locals, with a place to buy tickets (not Resort Quest or TDC, but a local place if one is available),would be very helpful.
Thanks

22 Larry Carmadelle Jr January 13, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I would like to hear more about Miracle Strip at Pier Park and Pier Park itself.Also about any new attractions and restaurants.Also about the happenings at the major beach resorts like the Holiday Inn and others all year long. I visit every summer,thanks.

23 Dan January 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I would like for you to write about the different condo complexes, real estate market and the openings of new businesses.

24 DeeLCee January 13, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Monthly, if not more often, fishing reports. Have the Pompano started showing up? How about the Cobia? When are the tournaments scheduled for? What’s being caught on the pier and on the beach?

Thanks

25 Dan January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Cut the Gluten Free articles and write about what is happening around town? The beach, fishing, new stores opening, Pier Park, And Real Estate.

26 Dixie January 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Gluten free articles are important to some people.

27 Linda January 16, 2012 at 9:17 am

I am looking forward to the Thomas Drive update. I can’t believe how long this is taking. We got a major chunk of an Illinois tollway done in less than 1 year and we have to deal with a lot worse weather. This has been going on for over 2 years now and doesn’t look like a whole lot has been done since my visit a couple months ago.
Oh and by the way. I am also looking forward to all your articles.

28 Cathy January 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

Seems for the last three years we’ve been to PCB the construction on Thomas Drive is in the same place…. pushing sand/dirt back & forth in the same area. I second the motion: When will it get “Finished”????
Is this a section of roadway that is un-finishable? lol lol

29 Greggt January 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Not trying to defend the construction but if you look at the before and after plus they had to agree not to deny access to any of the business’s during construction plus because all the utilities went underground, they had to maintain all the services. It has been a VERY BIG job just due to the crowded area plus the strict requirements. I agree it has taken a long time but let’s be thankful that it IS being done!

30 Cathy January 18, 2012 at 11:26 am

Yes, I realize that the area we are speaking of is verrrrry crowded. With Pineapple Willies right dab in the bend of the road of it! We are down in PCB 2 to 3 times a year and always drive to see what is happening and what is accomplished since our last visit. I will agree I did note some changes from June to September last year and I hope this year returning we will see lots more.
Seems more accomplishments could take place in the winter months as there is a huge slow down in business traffic. Wouldn’t you at least agree with this? I realize it is a HUGE undertaking and due to the strict inspections that this will take time…….. just seems it is dragging to me.
We are “all” thankful it is being done! 🙂
God’s Speed……
Cathy/Tennessee

31 Jeremy January 16, 2012 at 9:25 am

Whats up with the Harley shop on Back Beach? Coming or not?? What going in place of the Treasure Ship???

32 Linda January 16, 2012 at 10:39 am

PCB should hold something like this in the off season to attact people.

33 Christy January 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

I enjoying reading articles on this site. As I live in Alabama, Panama City Beach, FL. is my second home during Spring, Summer and late summer. I would like to hear more about the history of Panama City Beach, FL. as I don’t know much about it’s history. Maybe a before and after of the sites that has changed over the years. I’m a history junkie and to know more about my little paradise would help me to understand more of how PCB, FL. became what it is today….. The Most Beautiful Beach in the South. Thank You and I look forward to reading your new articles.

34 Cathy January 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

This is a very good idea………… 🙂

35 Craig KCMO-Laguna Beach January 17, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Maybe a consolidated history site with links to the other sites so you don’t have to recreate history work that has already been done…PCB Daily is a small enterprise…but I agree…a good idea.

36 Brian January 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Find out if the water treatment plant has plans to move so it won’t smell.