What Were They Thinking?

by September 11, 2008 • 7 comments
I don’t know what these two were thinking.  I saw them enter the water near the Rick Seltzer Park.  They tried very hard to make it out, but couldn’t even get past the first breaking surf line.  It didn’t take much time at all and they were already out of the water.  It looked like they had enough and were calling it a day.
See, even locals can make some bad judgments at times.  Well, who could blame them.

Do you know it is only a single red flag day?

Other pictures:
Anyone from the area who has some interesting pics, send them to me at cdurta@att.net.  I would like to get some from the other areas around the county.

Additional Hurricanes Stories

1 Christina Durta September 11, 2008 at 11:06 am

It seems that they have now changed it to a double red flag day. I took the pictures after 8:00 a.m. this morning, but that’s what was when the two surfers entered the water.

2 Ron September 12, 2008 at 8:29 am

I bet they were thinking, “Surf’s up let’s give it a shot.” A bad decision would have been getting in over their head. They evidently they knew their limits and decided to not push it. Sounds like their thinking was pretty good. There were quite a few surfers out in the waves off Shell Island, its what surfers do. Just what we need, a “nanny” weather girl.

3 Christina Durta September 12, 2008 at 10:07 am

Well, Surfer Dude, hate to be a nag, but I was honestly concerned for the safety of these two individuals. When they got out into the water their boards were flying around and could of easily smacked them on the head. They were being dragged down the beach so fast it was like a couple of pieces of broken wood.

I’m all for having fun, but let’s use some common sense.

4 Ron September 12, 2008 at 11:20 am

And that’s my point, what’s common sense to you is different for someone else. Racers race, sky divers sky dive, cliff jumpers cliff jump, rock climbers rock climb, not my job (or yours) to question their thinking one way or the other. It’s their sport, their recreation and their decision. It shouldn’t concern you.

5 Christina Durta September 12, 2008 at 1:04 pm

I guess so, but I do not believe that it is fair when you “extreme sporters” put other people at risk because you voluntarily put yourself in a dangerous situation. Who is supposed to come save you? Who has to risk their life so you could “catch a wave”? Nobody should be expected to. Your need to surf is really not that important when it comes down to difference between life and death.

It’s not just me. Did you read the newspaper this morning. Read the article at the top of page A3. Quoting Sgt. Tony Walker, head of Beach Patrol, “It’s rough; it’s really extreme. It’s tragic. I’m gonna be honest with you; it’s bad.” “These (waves) are what the surfers live for and these are what surf patrol dread.”

Have some respect for the people who are there to protect you and don’t put them in a dangerous situation for mere sport.

6 lauren September 14, 2008 at 3:22 pm

lame… 1.who even says there local … and 2.if you can surf reaally well you can swim really well… surfers are more aware of the water condition than those who arent…

7 Christina Durta September 14, 2008 at 8:23 pm

When I saw these individuals they were in no control of their boards or themselves. If they were so aware of the water conditions, they wouldn’t have attempted to go in.

I don’t care how well you can swim or if you have a board tethered to you, if the water is moving at a speed that is so great, you can’t swim. You are not a superhero. If your board is flying around, you can get hit.

Obviously there is some sentiment among surfers that you can’t get hurt. You can. You are human, and mother nature is much stronger than you. One would think that people who love the water that much would have a greater appreciation for its power.

My only complaint with the behavior I reported on is that it was dangerous and potentially puts rescue personnel at risk needlessly. If you can’t at least admit this, then you are just proving that you have a selfish attitude. It is no different than the people who go in to swim on double red flag days.

Ultimately, the choice is yours, so you can do whatever you want. I just hope nobody else has to pay the price for your decision.